Friday, October 30, 2015

The Accident





























Once upon a time, almost a week after her heart had been splintered into a million tiny shards, on her way to Richmond to see an oncologist--because 2015 hasn't been eventful enough thus far-- Chesapeake Bay Woman was hit by an oncoming car on a dark, two-lane, wooded country road near Glenns and was extremely lucky to survive.  After her very first helicopter ride from the scene of the accident to the hospital, she was diagnosed with two fractured ribs and a punctured lung.  (The top of her head hurt too--see pictures of car roof that is dented on driver's side above.)  She has nothing but the best possible things to say about the little car that saved her life--her beloved Kia Forte, whose airbags and seat belt prevented something far worse from happening.

The End.

--------------------------------------

I've not been blogging because, well, I've just been trying to survive, and so far I'm not dead yet, so I'm winning!  I could write a screenplay--that nobody would believe--about the past several weeks, but the bottom line is I am alive, I am going to survive, and, after I get through a hysterectomy scheduled for November 30th, I will welcome 2016 in with gusto and more determination than ever to live well and fully.

My friends and family have been absolutely wonderful to me, there are not enough words to express my gratitude.

I intend to return to blogging, but until I get a few things resolved--such as a rental car and then purchasing yet another new-to-me car, never mind the upcoming surgery which will incapacitate me for a minimum of four weeks--things may continue to be quiet here.

In the mean time, when you get behind the wheel, don't ever forget to buckle up.

I hope all is well in your world.

Is it 2016 yet?



18 comments:

Hannah said...

Good grief!! you have been through the wringer this year. :-( I'm sending positive energy your way and keeping you in my prayers.

growing wild on waverly lane said...

See my share on facebook (from GrandmaJ) RE: A bird takes a gator ride through "F"ville. He makes the Winnebago man look mild mannered.

Mental P Mama said...

So grateful to have you here among us all. Onward and upward. Love, me.

fighting mermaid said...

So glad you are a survivor, JV! Sending much positive energy your way.

Dghawk said...

Oh, my sweet Lord! my heart sank when I brought up your blog. So sorry you are going through such troubled waters. Sending you thoughts and prayers. just take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. I am so sorry you are having such a tough time. It looks like you were extremely fortunate to not get injured any worse than you did, even though it sounds like you certainly got banged up pretty bad. Will send thoughts and prayers your way as you continue to recover and for your upcoming surgery.
Trinia

Unknown said...

Damn! Get Well Soon and Best Wishes... Edward

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Thank you all! I will be fine with time. The very best friends a person could ask for and my family have made this otherwise surreal, slightly ridiculous time all the more better. I can't wait to be back to normal (whatever normal is). 2016 is going to be my year, for sure.

Edward, I hope this has been a good year for you. You were here when 2015 came in. It started out OK. But went to hell in a hand basket pretty quickly.

2016 will be better, I'm convinced. Absolutely.

Anonymous said...

All I can come up with, from my own experiences, is that "when it rains, sometimes it shitstorms". I wish you freedom from broken rib pain as soon as possible--tricky if you are around someone who makes you laugh---and I hope the headaches are fading.
Doing everything all the time, for everyone, makes it hard to accept help...but no doubt you have had to wave the flag of surrender for a while. So glad you have been running and keeping fit; if not, you might be worse off right now after an accident like that.
I too have been told I need a hysterectomy and am trying to get into fighting strength for that...yikes. Hugs, XO
LLC

Anonymous said...

Holy cow! Upon seeing those photos I assumed it was a fatal crash. The first responders, air-evac crew, and trauma team at the hospital did a top notch job to keep you with us. Very glad to hear you are on the mend and even retained your sense of humor through all that. Hope your rehab goes well and 2016 will get here ASAP.

John from Barboursville

Meg McCormick said...

I'm still stunned by these photos. Your guardian angel was watching out for you. Last week my oldest son hit a deer and totaled our used car (where total = 75% of KBB value, so it doesn't take much body damage to total a 2007 car), so I, too, am in the process of buying what will be my third car this year. We sold one, too. I hate the whole process. But I"m so glad you are OK. Keeping you in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God! Glad she survived, but what a horrible thing to endure. Wish I knew a way to help, but at least you're in my prayers. 2016 will be a better year, definitely. Betsy

Bob Braxton said...

frightening - very glad you survived.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps it's a good thing that "they don't build them like they used to". We are thankful that you are on the mend and may soon be training for that marathon.

FC

Bob Braxton said...

October 30 is the day of my spouse's total joint (hip) replacement surgery. Today is three weeks into healing. Just beginning several days ago walks outdoors (paved, Fairfax County).

Sooska1 said...

May the healing waters of the Piankatank ease your troubles. Best wishes to you, CBW.

Dghawk said...

Thinking of you today and sending prayers for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. We miss you.

Annie said...

Thinking of you CBW...
hope all going well with you
and the family.
love from Australia.