Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Time Goin' On

When someone asks you, "How's it going?" and your answer is, "Lawsie, it's a time goin' on around here," well that pretty much means everything is happening, and none of it's good.

Welcome to my life Monday. There was a time goin' on yesterday.

Without boring you with the unpleasant details of my personal life, because I tend to prefer denying glossing over those, I will share a very high-level overview of my Monday, the first and worst day of any work week.

Let's begin.

All the (ignored) worries of my life staged a coup and startled me awake at 4:00 a.m. Monday morning. After pushing the Deny/Try to Snooze Button on my brain, I was able to finally fall back asleep, only to be jolted awake by Twinkie the Cat heaving up hairballs on the bedroom carpet. Too tired to do anything but listen to the retching, I managed to go back to sleep two minutes before the 5:30 a.m. alarm.

Then, racing to the kitchen to make the coffee, I stepped in Twinkie's upheaval. Shrugging that off, I then went to the bathroom closet looking for a ticket to Costa Rica who knows what and managed to close my hand in the door. The hand bled almost as much as my lip that I bit trying to refrain from screaming.

Fast forward to 7:30 a.m. after an hour's commute. The e-mails awaiting me at work almost had me in tears by 7:34 a.m., but I remained calm. Then I spilled my coffee all over every single paper on my desk.

Then I spent the rest of the day trying not to cry.

The End.

In between not allowing the multitude of bad things to win and "The End" above, insert many more things that can and did go wrong.

The day concluded with this realization on the drive home late at night after the away soccer game and forty two hours at work: For the first time in my working life, which began in the 1980's, I'm the oldest person in my immediate working group, including my immediate supervisor. Pass the Kleenex now, please.

To take my mind off my life worries, tell me what you did yesterday and whether you had a good, bad, or mediocre day.

p.s. I thoroughly --and I do mean thoroughly--enjoyed reading yesterday's comments regarding your first jobs. Baby Sis was a peach thrower picker? I had no idea. Also, please visit Big Hair Envy's site if you are interested in joining us at the Urbanna Oyster Festival in November. She's taking a headcount so we can figure out what we're doing refine our plans.

p.s.s.t. - Thanks for being patient with my whining above. This too shall pass. It always does.


Grandma J said...

Oh please on the age thing....you are so young, and beautiful...not to mention smart. I didn't start my short career with my gov job until I was 48..and I stayed long enough to get a pension only to have a coworker, ask why I was retiring so young. She is 77 years old, and filed a harrassment complaint with HR because she said everyone is trying to "push her out to pasture". Now, no one is allowed to ask her when she's going to retire.

My weekend was a doozy, but no blood was involved. Lots of pain, but no blood or hairballs. Keep that chin up!!

Annie said...

everything happened for me yesterday ..not quite so traumatic.

first, tree man called in to look at tree to be removed, then decided they would do the job straight away...men swarming everywhere, chopping down what I thought was a fairly small chinese elm...turned out to be a bit bigger than I thought...plus other minor trees around the place too close to pool fences..etc.
meanwhile back at the ranch, the washing machine decided to die..call washing machine man, luckily he could call in ...while other guys were chopping trees...what fun..

whew..what a day...good to have those things done, especially as it is now warm windy and high fire danger...and I came up the mountain to see and mind the grandchildren on holidays, and admire their new kitchen! All happening here!

son in law in NY asked daughter when was Mum coming back...little boy very mobile now...not much peace for stay at home Dad.

Pueblo girl said...

Out of bad times, come good times. Keep breathing, keep well.

Mrs F with 4 said...

Dog and youngest daughter joined the synchronised peeing club, on the newly washed floor; dog shredded previously discarded pull-up; emptied (with grim satisfaction) all the mousetraps in the attic, hurled limp furry bodies over back fence; dog proved agility classes ARE SO TOO working, followed bodies and ate them. Yummy.

Number two son fell asleep on school bus, driver didn't notice and carried on past house; retrieved traumatised kindergartner from end of route; raced home, missed number one son's bus; drove to school, payed 'fine' for babysitting service. Muttered inappropriate comment under breath, over-heard by eagle-eared children, who chanted it all the way home. Won Mother of the Year Award.

Returned home; cleared up dog-mouse vomit. Apparently the tails tickle his stomach.

Children went to bed early. Very early.

Apparently I need yet more mousetraps, with bigger jaws, and more attractive bait, as a mouse ran across the pillow at 1am, presumably seeking revenge.....

Caution Flag said...

I am the oldest mom of a second grader in this year's class. The week, thus far, goes downhill from there.

Daryl said...

Awesome photo. Definitely one for framing.

My day. I wish I could tell you it was angst filled but it was fairly quiet for a Monday. The usual stimulating status meeting was postponed then canceled Boss #2 was heard telling someone to 'circle back to get a new time/date' .. does he think we're a ranch? Circle back?

I maybe the oldest one here but I am not asking or telling ...

I was very upset with All My Children - yes, I watch it, yes, I know its drivel and badly written but its MY soap so shut up. I was upset because well I dont have the time nor do you care so I am not going into the details but suffice it to say... the 'new' headwriter is as heinous as the one we called McTrash ..

Then we watched last week's Mad Men because we are always behind watching recorded programs...

And then I went to sleep.

Oh if MPM is coming to OF and will take me along, count me in

Meg @ Soup Is Not A Finger Food said...

Yesterday was business as usual. Today, however, I was five stops into my train ride when my phone rang, summoning me to retrieve a sick 6th grader from school. So now I'm at home and don't have much work to do remotely and I don't get paid if I don't work and I missed a day with a sick kid last week, plus grandma's funeral... and that times my hourly rate, such as it is, adds up.

But as you say, this too shall pass. I'm gonna try to embrace the forced home time as an opportunity to get some stuff done. Right. That's it.

Word verification = worsesse. Do you see it? WORSE-sse. Huh.

big hair envy said...

My man is sick with the flu. It's been three days. I win.

Word Verification: contin
I'm "contin" the days until he feels better.

Audrey at Barking Mad! said...

Well OK. Seeing as how you asked.

I woke up and sneezed about a million times and had to pee really bad. This is important.

Then I thought, "Uhg! Not only do I have the sneezes, I kinda feel ucky!" No biggy, I ignored it. Then I cracked open a jar of baby dill pickles and ate a few. For BREAKFAST. I followed those with a few pickled baby corn from a jar that Meg had bought. Then chased those with a huge glass of chocolate milk because I was too lazy to squeeze any orange juice. Oddly, I also hate baby pickled corn and chocolate milk. OK, I pretty much hate anything with chocolate in it.

Then as the day wore on the whole peeing thing just got worse. Which was really bad because I drank the entire thing of chocolate milk. ALL OF IT. An entire 1/2 gallon, gone!

Then as I hung up from a conference call between BlogHer and Senator Amy Klobuchar where I was able to ask the Senator a couple of questions regarding health care reform (OMG, you should check out the mess on my facebook page...the discussions that went on! Oiy!), I burst into tears. Just like that.

Later on into the evening as I was writing today's post I noticed I was popping CANDY CORN into my mouth. I absolutely HATE candy corn but always have it on hand this time of year. Don't know why, but I do. Seriously though, if Satan had rabbits, they would probably crap out these things.

So as I'm popping those nasty things into my mouth and oddly enjoying the waxy sugary goodness I had two epiphanies.

One involved ripping the nipples off of my OBGYN. The same one who tied my tubes when Gaby was born and the other involved me running naked through the surf at the witching hour, celebrating the arrival of menopause!

Oh and did I mention today is Gareth's birthday and I haven't done a thing about it. I figure I can just wrap up the EPT stick I'm about to pee on and give him that. Either way, it will be one hell of a surprise!

Audrey at Barking Mad! said...

Oh and hairballs?

Yeah, I can't even go there right now. I'm about to puke as it is.

Living on the Spit said...

I might end up living in a card board box.

I am joking, but not really.

Sending big hugs and lots of wine your way.

Angel Mama said...

Oh, wow. Hubby's truck broke down Saturday, on the way to the dump, filled with trash. Now we are down to one vehicle. We live in Gloucester, I work in Toano, and he works at Ft. Eustis. Fun. But, no bloodshed. Oh, and my Angel baby was standing up waiting at the door for me yesterday, very nice surprise!! Hope the rest of your week goes better.

Meg @ Soup Is Not A Finger Food said...

Shall we vote? All who think Audrey's tale of woe tops all, say aye...

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Oh my glory. Thank you so much for leaving these comments, this is the first opportunity I've had to read them all day. Love coming home to them.

First off, I'd like to say congratulations to Mrs. F. with 4 for making me laugh out loud...I laughed at others too, but this one really did it right off the bat with the opening sentence about the synchronized pee club.

GJ-I think I worked with that same 77 y.o. lady. She's still working at the government, they just transferred her to Virginia where she's making the same accusations.

Annie- So can we count on you arriving in New York around, say, late October? HOw about a trip to Virginia the first weekend in November? Do you like oysters? How about funnel cakes?

Pueblogirl - you're right and thanks.

Mrs. F. - Bravo. And thanks for the laugh.

CautionFlag- Deepest condolences, I feel your pain in a slightly different way, but I feel it nonetheless.

Daryl, Howdy - I reckon I'll circle back with MPM and find out from the horse's mouth whether you partners are ridin' south or what. Hope y'all can come back now, ya hear?

Meg-That is a bad way to start the day but hopefully he's feeling better now.

BHE-I'm contin' those days too, hopefully we won't be doing too much contin. (Do we have a cont of people coming to the Oyster Festival yet? I'll mosey on over to your site and see what's cookin'.)

Audrey - Thank you for that, I have to say Meg just might be right I think you have us all beat. Please let us know what Gareth gets for his birthday.

Living on the Spit - I'm sending positive thoughts your way, the only two I have left are headed to Willoughby Spit this instant.

AngelMamma - Sorry to hear about that, a truck full of decaying trash is definitely not a good thing, and a broken down truck filled with decaying trash is the pits. Hope things get better soon.

Anonymous said...

Pretty much every morning I am woken up by the upheaval of hairballs. I then fall fast and hard back to sleep, forget about it, only to step in it on my way to the coffee maker. I fall for it EVERY morning.
Baby Sis
Word Verification:" ingessul"
I guess I'm gonna " ingessul" I can at SUPPER tonight! ( ingest all I can )

Annie said...

erk..I am glad I don't have a cat. The dog was interesting enough the things she ate (and regurgitated at times)...

the truck incident reminded me that the tree man lost a truck...forgot to leave it in gear..ran down a hill (fortunately in bushland, no people around) and wiped itself out, into a tree! He spent the whole weekend getting another older truck going!!

I am feeding the hungry hordes here back from swim lessons...while Mum and oldest daughter shop. They are watching a Narnia video at the same time!

Oh, and there is a HORRIBLE dust storm outside...erk...the sky is pinky brown! Amazing!

Mental P Mama said...

Hugs and more hugs to you. Gah.

Anonymous said...

Just sent this to my sister and then came across your blog - I'm sure you will enjoy

News from the Head Maid at the Pee, Poop, & Vomit House

After I awoke to the alarm at 5:30 am yesterday, a normal morning routine started. I crushed the xobaline tablet for Boo (black & white tuxedo cat), mixed it with tuna and put him up on the counter to eat while he had an insulin shot. Gave Tigger (calico cat) tuna on the other counter and Max (old fat brown/black cat) tuna in his bowl - which is actually on the floor where most animals are fed. Filled water glass on counter for the cats, went upstairs to clean litter box. Found poop (as usual) on rug that litter box sits on but - yippee - no pee overspray on the floor.

Went back downstairs to let Mickey (Wheaten terrier, 11 months old) out of the bedroom, put him on a leash and let him, Duffy (yellow lab) & Sadie (black lab) out to pee. Sadie is very pushy (to put it mildly) in the mornings. She must be fed and fed NOW. Human feet and legs - beware - the tail and 4 paws of an overly excited 100# lab are dangerous! Fed Sadie outside, fed Duffy inside (so Sadie doesn't eat his too) and mixed food for Mickey - part canned and part dry. Let Duffy out and gave Sadie her arthritis & pain medicine in cheese, gave Duffy and Mickey cheese too so they don't feel left out.

Poured coffee. Ahh . . . Washed and dried hair, put on makeup. Heard Jack take Mick out for a walk - all is going so well. Squirted lotion in my hand and walked into the closet, turned on light and WTF?! Stepped in - you guessed it - poop. Guess Mick couldn't wait for his walk. Cleaned that up, dressed, fixed lunches, got Mick and we left for work around 6:50.

Eventful day at work with Mick but that's another story - it involves our CPA, jumping & barking, all while on the phone with tech support for our accounting software. Oh - and a wet spot on the carpet in the hall.

Got home about 5:30 pm. Finally made it to the back door - past a repeat of Sadie in the mornings. Feed Duffy, Sadie, and Mick again; walked into the dining room and stepped in - vomit this time. A cat had thrown up twice in the dining room (thank God the floor is hardwood and not carpet). Cleaned that up and put Mick in the bedroom so I could go upstairs and get Boo and do a repeat of the morning feeding for the cats. Don't remember much after that except DH asking why I was so quiet.

Susan (fabricluver)