Monday, February 9, 2015

Basketball









High school basketball and an extremely busy work schedule have completely consumed my days and nights these past several months.  Nearing the end of the regular season, the Mathews Lady Blue Devils are second place in the conference, with only two losses to a team I'd like to personally pummel Middlesex.

Although the team has played well all season, lately we're suffering slightly because several key players are out with injuries and illness.  Above, the three under the basket not suited up are all injured.  Two are guards who help Daughter push the ball up the court.




































Last Friday was the last home game and also Senior Night.  






We'll definitely miss these young ladies next year.


































There are two more games this week before we move to the conference tournament.  At least one of our injured players should be back in action by then, thankfully.

Daughter has managed to juggle her schoolwork with this rigorous basketball schedule.  She played three games last week, was worn out after each one, and showed me a report card that had A's and only one B.  She said she's (for now) ranked first in her class of 106 students.  She's also been working as a ref for the county's youth basketball league on Saturdays and catching up on sleep when she can.

How in the world she manages to do it all and do it all so well with a (mostly) positive attitude is beyond me.

I'm extremely proud of her.






9 comments:

Meg McCormick said...

Wow, that's awesome!! I know athletics forces the kids to really prioritize, and my son's participation in wrestling has definitely made him more disciplined. Congrats to CBD for hitting metaphorical home-runs (maybe I should say, sinking three-pointers??)!

thomas said...

Amazing , congratulations to both of you.

Unknown said...

You are supermom she is superkid. Thanks for all the pics of my dAddy. Love you

Anonymous said...

I think oldest daughter (aw hell, probably all 3 anonymous children, since the babysitters want to come to the game, too) and I will be coming to watch CB Daughter play on Thursday night. Looking forward to it!

Thanks for posting the pictures and the scores on FB. Even though I'm not brave enough to drag all 3 young'uns to games on a regular basis, I'm still cheering MHS on from afar.

GiveLiveHug I saw your daddy the other night and he told my oldest he's going to come watch her play when she gets to high school. He's such a good guy!

-Anonymous Mathews Native

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Meg-It's just like at work, you learn to prioritize and make efficient use of the time you have. Well...let's say *ideally* that's how it happens in the workplace. You're in HR, you know . But, yes, sports do help them with a lot of life lessons including time management. Right now I'm managing my time by counting the seconds until we see Harry Connick Jr. LIVE!

Thomas-Thank you, but it's all her. I'm just there to cheer her on, literally and figuratively.

GiveLiveHug-Anytime, you know how I feel about him. Love you both.

AMN-Long time no hear! I hope you can make it to the game, and thanks for your support whether in person or from afar.

Anonymous said...

That girl is a wonder. Your support must be everything to her, too.High fives, CB ladies !
LLC

Annie said...

wow..that is amazing..they do say that sports kids also do well at their other subjects..must be all that extra oxygen swhishing around their brains..
;-)

Good on CBD and her mum for all that driving!

Annie said...

wow..that is amazing..they do say that sports kids also do well at their other subjects..must be all that extra oxygen swhishing around their brains..
;-)

Good on CBD and her mum for all that driving!

Bob Braxton said...

as are we