Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Heron






A hungry heron stands poised in the marsh.










A hungry heron notices someone way off in the distance behind him.










A hungry heron stubbornly refuses to go back to his hunting even though the camera
is very far away; things only appear close here thanks to the zoom.










The hungry heron's stubbornness wins, and CBW puts her camera away.


The herons here lately have been waking me up at all hours of the night, as have the resident fox and the Canada geese.  I can count on hearing from them anywhere from midnight to 4:30.

No need for an alarm, every bird in the 23076 zip code is rising and steadily calling and chatting away between 5 and 5:30 a.m. now.

Anyone who thinks it's peaceful and quiet in Mathews has never tried to sleep with the windows open (or closed for that matter) on a summer night.

I'm not complaining though.

Well, maybe I am a little.  I just want one night of uninterrupted sleep.

It just might be time to invest in a cave, I really think that's the only place I'm going to get a full night's sleep a fan for some background white noise.






2 comments:

Dghawk said...

Herons and geese in the morning aren't as bad as TWO Whip-or-wills all....night....long. I try to count their calls like sheep, but after half an hour, it doesn't work.

Meg McCormick said...

Our birdies are loud here, too! I definitely recommend running a fan, both to keep the air circulating AND to drown out the noises inside and outside the house (outside noises here, lately, include teenagers around the bonfire and their thumpy-thump music).