Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Overboard


Above is a view of the creek from our dock one recent evening. Unless there's a thunderstorm, the wind dies down most summer evenings, and there's not a single ripple on the creek other than the wake of the vibrations coming from the outdoor speakers during Blog Fest muskrats.

The other day the Chesapeake Bay Children and I were lollygagging on the end of the dock, when suddenly CB Son exclaimed, "O.M.G. the fishing rod is overboard." Only a tiny bit of plastic peeked above the water, and quite honestly it was impossible to discern what it was.

It's not unusual for stuff to blow off the dock because of the strong winds that come with the frequent, often unexpected and sudden, storms.

Evidently, though, this was The One and Only Good/Working Fishing
Rod, and CB Daughter had left it in a precarious position on the end of the dock - the very end of the dock which really isn't a dock due to missing boards and loose supports. in other words, the end of the dock that is about ready to collapse into the creek.

CB Son maneuvered to the edge of the dilapidated dock and reached in to grab the rod, which was almost completely submerged.



When CB Son gave Daughter a stern lecture a bit of grief for being so careless, she gave this look which really says, "Leave me alone. I've got a crab net, and I'm not afraid to use it."



Notice the missing boards on either side of Chesapeake Bay Daughter and if you have time please also take note of the lack amount of real estate Chesapeake Bay Son has to stand on while pulling a fishing rod out of the mud. Yes, they both know how to swim in the highly likely unlikely event the boards were to give way. Also, the water is only about four feet deep here. These words were brought to you by a mother trying to justify the fact that her children might be in danger yet she is standing there with a camera snapping shots.

When all was said and done, the rod was successfully retrieved. The look on CB Son's face (below) says, "I can't believe I had to fish this thing out while balancing on the end of a dock that's getting ready to collapse. Also? I'm starving."




And everyone lived happily ever after.

The End.

17 comments:

foolery said...

Falling into water builds character. Unless you're 45, in which case it just builds resentment. So glad the boards held during my visit. Stay dry, CBKids! You have enough character for an entire county. You must have fallen overboard a whole lot.

Ann Marie said...

I love it when our Chinese friend posts.. .or is that Japanese. And to that I have to say...

我每天都做善事,因为我再

but enough of all of that...

Overboard is also one of my favorite movies of ALL TIME.. I still wonder if I fell off a boat at some point and whacked my noggin and this isn't REALLY my life.

Meg McCormick said...

It's pre-coffee for me and I'm all outta clever, so I'll say "ditto" to what foolery says.

Also? BE CAREFUL KIDS! This PSA brought to you by a mother who can't help herself.

Jamie said...

I have a recurring dream where I'm running down a pier and all the boards are dropping off behind me as I go... like in the cartoons. I don't want to know what that means. I've fished many things out of our creek, mostly half of the minnow pot when someone doesn't it hook it properly

Lynne M said...

My hubby caught me taking pics of the baby last night as he was trying to pull up to a standing position (not successfully) in the tub while holding the washcloth in his mouth... "I wasn't going to let him fall.." I replied as I put down the camera with one hand and grab the baby with the other..

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

As long as eveyone is living happily ever after a few missing boards is nothing!
<><

Mrs F with 4 said...

I am also all out of witty.... probably an entire week of Church Camp that has sucked all the humour out of me. Although I may turn up this morning to find the children have been expelled, after the TWO year old dropped four-year old's lunch box on her toe at drop-off time and uttered, in the clear, piercing voice guaranteeing maximum embarassment, "F**k".

No, I have no idea where she learned it.

wv: dence. How I am feeling this morning.

Mental P Mama said...

Give those CB kidlets a little more time, and they'll have it all worked out! Miss their sweet faces.....

Trisha said...

Love the pictorial story of the fishing rod! So much fun!

Meg McCormick said...

@Mrs F, I'm ashamed to say, my 5 year old knows that word too, and can use it in a grammatically- and contextually-correct way. Also? Upon recent frustration with a computer game, I heard him say, "Dammit!"

Guess I'd better clean it up, huh?

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Every one must fall in at one point. I would have been taking pictures also. Glad he only had to rescue the fishing rod and no humans on that evening, anyway.

Daryl said...

Two nicer kids I have yet to meet .. wait I have .. Re's two .. and Lauren's .. and Kate's .. and Foolery's .. lets just say Blister kids are just amazing.

LOVE the reflecting shot .. miss Mathews and all of you ..

deborah said...

all out of wit today..but love the sweet pics!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I have some pics to share. =)
<><

Shelley Jaffe said...

I don't which face I love more - CB Daughter's scowl (to which she brings such grace) or CB Son's 'I Am Too Cool for my Own Self'.

I see both of these on my sons at least 30 times daily, but they somehow don't have the same oomph.

ChesapeakeBayDaughter said...

Well to be exact with the story I was the one who found the fishing rod in the water. Then I was getting prepared to get it when CB Son comes to rescue!

love,
CBD

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

CBD-Your memory is better than mine. All I remember is CB Son frantically trying to rescue the fishing pole. And also his displeasure at the fact that it was underwater because "somebody" left it on the end of the dock. And that he's always hungry.