Friday, September 3, 2010

Oh, Earl

Above is a photo of Queens Creek as of 9:00 Friday morning.

So far, Hurricane Earl has done next to nothing in my neck of the woods, however the worst (which includes some high winds but nothing awful) has not yet hit-if you believe what the newscasters say.

(Usually I don't, but I'll be nice today and give them the benefit of the doubt since (a) I am not a weather forecaster and (b) just as soon as I say "Earl is a dud, and so far it's much ado about nothing," he'll pick up strength and wreak havoc.)

Below is an example of the Chesapeake Bay Family emergency preparedness plan, which includes securing the canoe and the rowboat to a dogwood tree.

It's interesting to note that in the event of a Level 4 hurricane (which Earl was at one point), a dogwood tree would likely be flung like a toothpick to Gloucester County, but for now let's not focus on that minor detail. The important thing to note is some thought was given to the boats, however incomplete and flawed that thinking may be.

And so, as of Friday morning, Chesapeake Bay Woman is slightly disappointed in the dud-like quality of Earl. Although she sincerely does not wish harm to any person or property, she does love a good storm. Most people think she's crazy for making such statements, but that's OK, that label suits her well.

More updates on Earl as he makes himself known here.

p.s. If you don't hear from me by tomorrow, it's because we've lost current after Earl got angry when he heard I called him a dud.
*****************************************************

5:00 p.m. Update: It's official. Earl was a dud.

6 comments:

Mental P Mama said...

OMG...those boats make me laugh. The only thing missing in that shot is Buddy.

Caution/Lisa said...

I love your emergency plan. And it surely has worked thus far! Glad you're still in one piece.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I love prior planning!
<><

deborah said...

Hoping the storm doesn't do any damage to your neck of the woods! The boats look strangely out of place..hmmm..keep us posted!

Jamie said...

I read you tied the boats to a dogwood and laughed. Then again, the kayak is just thrown under the deck at our place. Earl hasn't ruined my weekend plans, but Tsunami Chuck (my ex) might. Oy.

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

Being a veteran of New England
northeasters, there is nothing like a storm to bring out the best and most creative sides of ourselves. I kind of hate when storms are duds, too.