Monday, December 20, 2010

Comparisons

November 2010
Generally speaking, change is not synonymous with Mathews County.  We tend to like things the way they are and stubbornly resist outside influences.

More narrowly speaking, however, as in from the viewpoint of my camera lens, change to the scenery can be swift, frequent, drastic and dramatic. The same old view rarely looks the same way twice.

For example, these first two photographs, of a point of land on Queens Creek near Smithers Cemetery, are basically the same as far as content, but what a difference there is in the colors.

December 2009

The two below are of the same point of land, just a little closer in.

November 2010 Sunset

As mentioned a few days ago, I don't know how to edit photographs.  Even if I did, I probably wouldn't because I have no spare time nor any desire to fiddle around with the pictures I take.

The differences here in lighting and color are completely natural.  And I find that amazing.

Of course, I don't get out much.

November 2010 Sunrise

Slow down and enjoy life. It's not only the scenery you miss by going too fast,  you also miss the sense of where you are going and why. 
- Eddie Cantor

p.s. Over the next couple of weeks postings will be sporadic rather than daily. This week I must work while simultaneously scrambling preparing for Christmas.  Next week I  hope to slow down; enjoy life, admire the scenery and spend time with the Chesapeake Bay Children, just in time to be flung head first into 2011 when the book will become a priority in addition to all my other responsibilities. I might move to an every other day posting schedule or simply a photo a day (without words) format but the bottom line is this blog will be slowing down some.  Have a great week! 

9 comments:

Karen Deborah said...

Merry Christmas CBW I think everybodies blog is slowing down now so join the club. slowing down is a good word.

deborah said...

Amazing photos! I vote for a photo once in a while:) Your children and book must take the front now. Just slow down and enjoy the scenery.
I'll be patient and wait for the pictures (and the words).

wv zygment CBW doesn't have an extra zygment of time right now!

Anonymous said...

SLOW DOWN! DID you say SLOW DOWN? you can't slow down you got to SHOP, COOK, CLEAN, RUN EARNS,TAKE CARE OF THE YOUNGIN'S TAKE CARE OF MOM AND DAD, TAKE CARE OF YOUR MAN, TAKE CARE OF YOUR FRIENDS, TAKE CARE OF YOUR SISTER'S DID I SAY TAKE CARE OF YOUR FRIENDS, BUY SOME WINE, (oh thats a good one, lets put that in again!)BUY SOME MORE WINE, WRITE A BLOG, GO TO MATHEWS DISNEY LAND, and thats just the first four hours! SLOW DOWN thats not in future!!! Merry Christmas!!

Daryl said...

That Eddie Cantor was some smart guy ... Paul Simon also knew what he was talking about when he sang 'slow down you move too fast, got to make the morning last' .... maybe if we all slow down 2011 will take longer to get here .. ALL your photos are wonderful, you have a true photographer's eye ... who needs editing when you can see it right the first time?

Annie said...

Great photos CBW.

Hope you have a great week.

Yes, and slowing down sounds pretty good to me. Especially at this time of the year.

Enjoy the kids and family, and photos! Not forgetting Christmas and the New Year!

See you in April. Haha. Well, I think I'll be in NYC helping out with baby number two god-willing!

"kallop" what you have to do to Keep up with Kristmas!

Unknown said...

When my accident forced me to retire early the doctors told me that I should look at the bright side; I'd have time to do the things I've always wanted to do. They lied. I'll still be juggling my schedule 2 weeks after my funeral!

Mental P Mama said...

Just beautiful....

Anonymous said...

new gal here again. I tried to find the Islander today b/c of your blog (unsuccessful... I'm directionally impaired -- like you've never seen!).

just fyi, I read your blog religiously. i have it bookmarked on my comp.

i cannot wait for a book!! You need to do a signing somewhere in town. ;)

Gorgeous pics. Merry Christmas! :)

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

New Gal - If you go over the bridge to Gwynn's Island, look to your left and that's the Islander. There is a hard surface road on the left just before you get to the Sea Breeze (which is on the right - are you confused yet? I think I am.) Turn in there and keep going (through a residential area) until you come to the boathouse/marina. You'll see a playground--make a right and that'll take you to the motel.

Thank you for reading! Actually, thanks to all of you for reading and for commenting. The comments really make my day.

Hope to have a post up Wednesday, probably just a picture or two. Still have lots left to do before I can start to relax.

Hope everyone has a fantastic, stress-free week.

(Ha! Is there is such a thing as a stress-free week? I think they're only found in Bora Bora. Still, I hope it's as good a week as possible given all the scurrying around people seem to be doing.)