Tuesday, December 28, 2010

The Dock


These are from my Christmas Eve trip down to Onemo, an effort to quiet my mind and distract myself from all the work that needed to be done.

To the left as you walk down the public landing are the remains of an old dock.

The way the boards are situated reminds me of the very first dock I remember walking on, over at my grandparents' house.


My grandmother used to take me out on her dock to feed the sea gulls.  We would throw out meat scraps, usually pieces of ham, the fat parts everyone trimmed off.  The sea gulls loved it.

But what was most memorable about that dock was how narrow it was and how it was constructed.

Typically when you step onto a dock, you are walking on boards placed horizontally in front of you.

My grandmother's dock consisted of  a couple planks of wood placed lengthwise, much like the boards above appear to be situated.

Although I'm not doing a very good job of explaining things, I do know that dock was different and you don't see them made that way any more.  Probably for good reason, as I remember being scared almost every time we went out on it.  There wasn't much room to turn around.

Plus those sea gulls can be aggressive, especially when you're gripping clove-studded ham bits.

Anyway, isn't it funny how something as simple as the image above can open the floodgates to so many memories?

In other news, this blog is taking a break for the next couple of days and will return on Thursday.  Hope you have a fantastic week free from aggressive sea gulls and unstable docks precarious situations.

5 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

OH yeah, you bet, I'm avoiding unstable docks and scary situations and all that stuff. Concentrating on getting myself healthy enough to get the laundry done. We were gone almost three weeks, so that's a lot of stuff.
Sigh.
But I'm so glad we went. I was a Mexico-in-winter person for many years because my parents wintered there, so I'd never been to Hawaii. I loved it. Going back, I hope, I hope.
Want to come out your way sometime, before it all ends up like this dock, though.
Happy new year.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

deborah said...

Wishing you a few days of fun and no stress!
Oh, we had a little footbridge made like that, just a couple of planks laid end to end. Terrifying to cross!

Daryl said...

those are wonderful shots .. have a wonderful relaxing time!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Enjoy your time off. Happy New Year CBW!
<><

Country Girl said...

Hoping you're having a relaxing, rewarding time. I didn't get out of my pajamas until 4 pm. And then I put them on again after dinner. It was a most productive day.