Monday, July 11, 2011

Family Vacation - Part One


Once upon a time, Chesapeake Bay Woman needed to get away from her way too hectic, stressful and overly scheduled life full of deadlines, long commutes and weeds that threaten to take over the house wonderful little existence in Mathews County.  So she and her family decided it was time for a vacation.

The extended Chesapeake Bay Family has not been on a vacation together in over 11 years.  We have had a night or so away together, here and there; or maybe a long weekend under one roof.  But this was the first time in a while the whole family, including my father, mother, and two sisters, were away from home for any extended period of time.

We went to Avon, North Carolina, which I highly recommend to anyone wishing to truly get away from the crowds and hullabaloo associated with some of the more northern Outer Banks areas during the peak season. Although it feels like you're driving to South America Florida, it's well worth the drive.

Also, crowds and hullabaloo are subjective terms - I consider more than two people to be a crowd since I live and prefer the existence of a hermit and anything louder than a heron's screech qualifies as a hullabaloo. 

My point is, it's very different south of Oregon Inlet.  In a good way.  Especially if you're a hermit.

The first thing the Chesapeake Bay Family did was pull out the hats, which are a necessary ingredient to happiness any family gathering.

Hats just seem to make everything more fun.

Here we have the beginning of a night filled with James Brown music and laughter, which, in addition to hats, are pretty consistent themes in any of our family events.

L to r, Baby Sister, Chesapeake Bay Daughter, Middle Sister and  MS's Husband Mike


Baby Sister has worn this sunbrero sombrero on vacation for a couple of years now.  She has successfully influenced Chesapeake Bay Daughter, who now also dons a sombrero when the time is nigh for a hat.

Baby Sis is grasping the top of her head because there were gale force winds, also a predictable outcome necessary ingredient for any Chesapeake Bay Family vacation.  In this instance the winds were blowing so hard, the house swayed back and forth just like a hammock.  A hammock hanging by a thread in gale force winds. 


Baby Sister and CB Daughter, aka Twins


I can't tell you the last time all the sisters and the parents were on vacation together.  I guess I already said that, but it is worth repeating, especially when you consider that we were officially trapped in a swaying house, four or five thousand hours from home staying in the same house together for several days, and those days start and end at different times for different people.

For example, I imagined I'd be able to sleep late on vacation.

As it turns out, that was the only place I could sleep late.  In my imagination.

Middle Sister and Husband Mike doing a puzzle. I think three puzzles were completed last week.  

Approximately half the house woke up way too early rather early, while others, such as the Chesapeake Bay Teenagers, sometimes slept until noon awoke later in the morning.

Chesapeake Bay Parents

The first night we were there, lots and lots of music was played.  A proper Chesapeake Bay Family gathering cannot be held without at least one song by my mother's favorite, James Brown.

Chesapeake Bay Son mesmerized my parents with his mad technical skillz, using the iPod and some other gadgets to enhance our musical experience.  Since I lack those skills, I will pretend to know how he got the iPod to send a picture of the music we were listening to onto the television screen.


James Brown 

In other news related to my fear of technology, I finally learned how to use the iPod which my children gave me for Christmas.  It was the best thing on the beach every morning, to be able to listen to my music and stare off blankly into the vast expanse of ocean, which happens to be my favorite thing to do on vacation besides sleep. (And that was obviously out of the question.)  

The Chesapeake Bay Children were in a state of disbelief that it took only seven months for me to learn how to use the iPod happy to see me finally using the iPod.


Chesapeake Bay Daughter and CBW.  


Speaking of my children, we thoroughly enjoyed our time together.  CB Daughter and I had one very special day together, just the two of us, doing everything we wanted to do.  Together.



Chesapeake Bay Son, telling his mother to please not put this on Facebook.



CB Son and I enjoyed our time doing a whole lot of nothing at the beach every day. He and I understand each other when it comes to the importance of doing nothing at the beach.




My precious girl.  

And what all of this has to do with Mathews County is absolutely nothing. Except that even if you live in a beautiful place considered a destination in and of itself, it is still vitally important to leave your daily responsibilities behind and take a break from Life.

Life is good.  Vacation is fantastic. And I love my crazy family no matter how early they get up on vacation.

15 comments:

Ann Marie said...

I also imagined that I too would be able to sleep late on my "vacation" on the Eastern Shore.. but alas Monday morning I was awoken by to my utter dismay waves and a seagull at 5:37am.

I will also have you know that I grew so accustomed to that sound waking me up at 5:37 am that I recorded the waves and the seagull on my blackberry which is also my alarm clock and now will wake up to waves and a seagull.. just not at 5:37 am.

Love the sister left behind.... again.
(giggle)
see you tomorrow! yay!

Meg McCormick said...

Looks like you had a great time! You're lucky to have family you enjoy spending time with; not everyone does. Fortunately, I do, too.

abb said...

Sounds like a perfect time, early mornings and all! Glad you all got together - memories, girl, good memories!

Mental P Mama said...

Wonderful. Every last bit of it. Kwah.

Jamie said...

I can't wait for my vacation in a couple of weeks! Looks like a grand time was had in the Outer Banks. Glad you had a chance to relax (please know I wanted to insert a particular modifier but this being a PG blog I refrained)

Maria_NJ said...

So glad that you had a nice vacation...seems like everyone had a good time...

My GF getaway was amazing, there were 10 of us, it was so much fun.

We are looking to maybe rent a beach home next year. What is that about the swaying home???

not a fan of flying, have to mention that...

Unknown said...

Oh what wonderful memories you make with your family. I love how you all got to have some relaxing time together. The kids are getting so big!!

Trisha said...

That makes me want to join your family for your vacations! It looks like everyone had a good time (and I have some great hats to wear!).

Daryl said...

I have always wanted to rent a BIG old house on the Outer Banks and spend time there doing nothing ... okay maybe taking photos and walking on the beach ... sounds like you had the perfect vaca (my WV)!

Kay L. Davies said...

Fortunately, our town is not a vacation destination of any description, so no one ever comes here for more than two days. Usually my youngest brother and his family come for two days. Next week my other brother and his wife are coming, so I'm having to hire people to help tidy the house and yard. Four or five days of work to prepare for a two-day visit. So I hope my brother and sister-in-law enjoy their vacation here.
Love the sombreros, by the way, but your crab hat caps them all.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

growing wild on waverly lane said...

Hats had difficulty in the high wind. The Flying Nun could have lifted off without her typical running start. Right out of the hot tub even.

Oh I miss our little house on the windswept beach. Lets do it again.

Country Girl said...

I absolutely loved this post.

As someone who vacationed around the same area, starting in 1979, I totally agree. Below Oregon Inlet, it's a different world - so much more quiet. We haven't been back in several years but I have the best memories of family vacations.

Welcome home.

Anonymous said...

Here on the west coast, our extended family rarely gets together, either--but hats are also a definite requirement for our festivities. I love that your mom, waverly lane wild woman, needs to hear Godfather of Soul. (His music is being exploited--er, featured, on lots of tv commercials, for which I always turn up the volume.)
You are stunning(and almost as red) in your Crab Hat. On the Blog Cabin posts,we are whiling away time with a virtual bloggers' party. I am arriving by, aptly named,hot air balloon with the chef. I thought it will be nice, as we touch down, to fling crab hats to the guest bloggers below. You are virtually invited to attend, and I wonder if we may order some virtual crab hats from you ? You have all the local connections......

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Anonymous - Absolutely. There is no other way to land than by flinging crab hats. Thank you for the invitation and please tell me how many crab hats you need. You cannot ever have too many, you know.

I'll try to get over to the Blog Cabin site later in the week. These next few days are chock full of activities that will keep me away from the internet, for the most part, but I can't wait to join the party, crab hat in tow.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Sarah and I'm with Dwellable. I was looking for blog posts about the Outer Banks to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, drop me a line at Sarah(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Sarah