Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Family Vacation - Part Two

Chesapeake Bay Daughter - Two Hats are Better Than One

As I mentioned yesterday, hats were a large part of the family fun last week.  But standing around laughing and giggling while wearing silly hats wasn't the only thing we did, believe it or not.



Middle Sister read a book.

All of us thoroughly enjoyed the beach.

From body surfing to skimboarding to doing unintentional back flips in the surf just wading in the surf, the water was spectacular. There's something very healing and invigorating about the ocean water.


Thankfully, CBW did not try skim boarding this year.
She learned her lesson a couple of summers ago.
CB Daughter is the skim boarder extraordinaire.

My sisters and parents drove down to Buxton to cause a ruckus at the top of the lighthouse visit the lighthouse one day.  I won't say exactly what happened there, but if they are reading and care to share the story, I encourage them to do so.  I found it to be highly amusing. Perhaps Chesapeake Bay Mother can write the story on her blog.

They had such a good time there (with, perhaps, a few exceptions) that they convinced the CB Children and I to head down there later in the week.

So we did.

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

Except just after we purchased the tickets, a rumble of thunder shut the whole place down. So we never made it up to the top, sadly.

The look on CB Son's face below clearly indicates his lack of enthusiasm at the entire outing. It was blazing hot, he was tired and starved to death.  What he's really saying here is, "Can't we just eat something and go take a nap on the beach?"






CB Daughter, on the other hand, was thrilled to be doing something different because she needs to be doing something all the time.  Lying around sweating in the sand is not her cup of tea.  

It's a balancing act, trying to make everybody happy.

Our family is completely unbalanced rarely in balance, by the way. But we do our best.


Below are some random shots.


Baby Sis - Pretty in Pink





Baby Sister's Friend Dino - He's simply hilarious.




Chesapeake Bay Son 




There were always clouds passing around us, but luckily we avoided most of the rain.

One final photo from our family vacation:

This is how I looked when I walked into work Monday morning. 

In addition to being a fair representation of how I feel about being back home and back at work, the above image reflects the collective mood of Chesapeake Bay Son and I when Daughter declared her ardent desire to go putt putt golfing on the ride home.

So, after packing all our stuff (including stuff we didn't have on the trip down) and hauling it down several flights of steps and then trying to jam it into the car, we finally headed north.  After about 45 minutes of driving, we stopped at Jurassic Putt in Nags Head and underwent the torture that is miniature golf in heat when you really need to be getting down the road to beat traffic played a spirited round of miniature golf.

Chesapeake Bay Son came in first.  Daughter came in second.  I came in last.  And although there are a few choice words I could use to describe the whole thing, I believe the photo above says just about everything I could possibly write here.

The End.

9 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

You wear the paleolithic look very well, m'dear. I'm sure everyone at work thought the same.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Meg McCormick said...

Oh man, I am not a huge putt-putt fan either. I'm with you (sorry, CB Dauther!) - I'd rather be lounging on the beach, counting beads of sweat as they roll down my back, contemplating my next dip into the surf.

WV axanex. Can I get a prescription for that?

Jamie said...

Midge and CBDaughter should skim board together, Midge is pretty good though out of practice. I won't be skim boarding again since I nearly broke a bone the last time. I don't look good in purple as evidence by the largish bruise on my leg, not to mention the blood. Not pretty.

I love PuttPutt.

Mental P Mama said...

You are the world's best mama. I would never have stopped for putt putt on the way home. Kwah.

Daryl said...

Fun times ... I remember being CBDaughter's age and needing to be constantly busy/engaged/entertained .. I do believe I said 'I'm bored' the way kids today use 'like' ...

Mrs F with 4 said...

You do have THE most beautiful children, you know. Well, except for mine, obviously.

I am 17 days into the ten week summer break. The children have formed a feral pack. Any guesses as to who might be the intended prey?

Trisha said...

Interestingly, I felt just like that dinosaur yesterday myself!

Your vacation - despite not getting to the top of the lighthouse - has been wonderful to tag along on vicariously.

Unknown said...

I love your travel tales! I like water sports in the summer, and putt putt in the winter. Vacations end so soon, don't they?

Country Girl said...

Can't believe you stopped for putt putt. What a nice person you are.