Tuesday, May 20, 2008
On my screen, this picture is blurry. On my kitchen counter, there are ants. I can't deal with the blurry picture right now, so I'm posting it. I also can't deal with the ants right now, so I am writing on my blog.
The shot above was taken from Williams Wharf Landing in Mathews. It's looking out across the East River towards an old warehouse, a seagull who did not like me taking his picture, and a sailboat.
Williams Wharf used to be where steamboats arrived on a daily basis from Baltimore, Newport News and Norfolk. My grandmother used to talk about driving all the way here from Gloucester just to see the steamers, whether it was the entertainment they brought, or the supplies or the people.
Keep in mind that I am talking about Williams Wharf, which is directly BEHIND me in this picture. It would have made too much sense to actually take a picture of what I'm talking about here.
And to continue taking things further from the topic, I'm going to give you a True or False test below. Some of the statements are about Mathews, some have to do with me. I am sure you can figure out which is which.
1. Mathews County is 87 square miles.
2. As we speak, there are 87 million ants marching across my kitchen counter.
3. Mathews County has 357 miles of shoreline.
4. I have gone to the store 357 times and each and every time I forget to get ant spray, ant traps, machine guns, and explosives to kill these insidious creatures.
5. Mathews has a population of 9,200.
6. The ant colony trying to move in with me, take over and crawl all over me-- laughing as they slowly torture me in my sleep--has a population of 9,200.
Answers: 1,3,and 5 are true. 2,4,6 have some truth in them, but the numbers may be slightly off as follows: Add FOUR THOUSAND to each number, and then the statements will be true.