Once again we have a photo that is completely unrelated to what I'll be talking about today, which is a new Mathews bar and grill called Cheerleaders.
Cheerleaders is in the old Club 14, which back in the day was quite the scene. Bar and dance hall, the place had a lighted disco floor. This I know because one summer during college my cousin Julie and I ventured inside, which is a story for another time.
Let's just say that Club 14 had its own distinct personality, and that personality included drinking, more drinking, disco dancing, followed by drinking. Toss in a stabbing, a shooting, then more dancing and drinking--not necessarily in that order, and you've got yourself a Club 14.
The thought of going to Club 14 for a meal is a rather interesting concept.
Here's what this week's Gazette Journal says about the grand
- The restaurant will serve Mexican and American dishes.
- There is a full-service bar.
- It is designed to be a "family place."
- Quieter music is planned for earlier in the day; live entertainment starting later in the evening.
- Sports bar has 20 flat-screen TVs; pool table; dance floor* and stage.
- Servers are dressed as cheerleaders.**
* I wonder if the dance floor still lights up a la John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever or if they've put a new one in.
** Does this mean there will also be male cheerleaders serving?
Perhaps I'll have to stop by and find out.
Did anyone local ever go to Club 14? Anyone remember Pierre the DJ? I think his weekend name was Beast from the East.
For anyone else - How about a lighted disco dance floor almost exactly like the one in Saturday Night Fever. Am I the only one who thought it was thrilling? Keep in mind there wasn't a lot to do around here growing up, so if the answer is, "CBW, you really need to get out more often, a lighted dance floor is nothing to get excited over," I totally agree. Still, I loved that dance floor and think about it fondly every time I drive by.