Sunday, March 14, 2010

Blog Fest 2010

This picture of a swing overlooking Hills Bay, from August 2008, is one of my favorites. It's on Gwynn's Island next to a spot of beach where a group of bloggers from all corners of the map descended on the last official night of Blog Fest 2009.

Last year's Blog Fest originated in response to blog friends' repeated requests to see Mathews County, but also due to a broader desire to finally meet the people we'd grown to know via the internet and the blogosphere. With attendees from as far away as Canada, Washington state, California, Texas, Maine, and all up and down the Eastern Seaboard, it was quite a diverse--yet familiar--group of people, most of whom had never met each other IRL/in real life and none of whom were convicted felons, much to everyone's relief.

We hung out, toured the county, took lots of pictures, ate and sampled a little wine.

But only a little.

This year's event will be held July 15-18. The core group from last year is attending, plus we're excited that several newcomers are joining in the frivolity.

Today Big Hair Envy, Noe Noe Girl and I are meeting in a local establishment to review plans and details for this year's Fest. Please note that the words "plans" and "details" cause me to twitch and convulse, which is exactly why Big Hair Envy and Noe Noe Girl are involved in the planning.

While I'm more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants sort, they thankfully pay attention to things like:

How many people are coming?
What will we eat?
What will we do?

You know, minor details such as those.

I, on the other hand, will sit back and listen, nod in agreement, discuss the advantages of holding a karaoke contest, inquire where one might rent a margarita machine, glance off at the pretty bird flying by, become distracted by the shiny silverware on the table, and then ask Big Hair Envy to send me an e-mail telling me exactly what we discussed, what I need to do, and by when.

Anyway, if you're interested in attending and have not yet responded, send an e-mail to ChesapeakeBayWoman@gmail.com. If you have recommendations or ideas about particular activities we should include, such as the karaoke contest and margarita machine suggested by the Baroness, let me know.

No matter what winds up on the official agenda, there are two things guaranteed: laughter and fun.

Click here for Big Hair Envy's post asking for suggestions and click here for a link to the Blog Fest website.

p.s. One of last year's attendees, Country Girl Kate, has recently been recognized on The Pioneer Woman's website as one of PW's favorite sites. Better get Kate's autograph while the gettin's good, because she's one baby step away from blog stardom, and before too long we're going to be following her as she makes the talk show circuit.

(She's taking me when she is a guest on Oprah, I've already made the request.)

13 comments:

Pseudo said...

You all are going to have so much fun.

Annie said...

For some reason, I thought I read a migraine machine there....oops..

and your sort of planning cbw sounds like my sort!

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Had a margarita fountain at my wedding! Think margarita would go great with your deck/view!! with that said the rental place in white stone has both fountain and the frozen machines!!

Meg McCormick said...

I'm all for a margarita machine and Annie, we can arrange for medications to mitigate any margarita-induced migraines.

Just let me know what to bring... besides the Baronness and AsthmaGirl, that is.

Rock on Kate! That's exciting!

Daryl said...

I hereby/herewith declare myself a judge at the karoke contest because trust me you do not want me singing .. ever .. honest.

One of my favorite photos from last year is of me in that very swing ...

WV cranati .. those who crane to see Kate .. of course

nativedevil said...

I plan to come, even if it is just for a day.
Could you do a boat ride again--I'm not much of a swimmer, but I'd love to take a ride out to the Lighthouse--I helped build an oyster shell walk way around it when I was young

Country Girl said...

I am not one of PW's favorite sites. She labeled my site as a 'Good Read' which is quite an honor.
And whose idea was it to have the karaoke thing going? This is a bad idea for me. Very bad!
I am so looking forward to seeing your beautiful part of the world again. I love it there.

Mental P Mama said...

Can. Not. Wait.

big hair envy said...

I can't believe that our lunch-meeting has come and gone. So much to do, so little time...

Is it July yet???

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

PHST-We will, definitely. It's not too late to sign up if you'd like to join us.

Annie-Margaritas, migraines, they go hand in hand...with karaoke.

Anonymous-We think we've located a karaoke machine for free, but if that doesn't work out, I"ll definitely be calling the place in White Stone. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Meg- All you have to bring is that precious cargo; we'll take care of everything else.

Daryl-You can be the judge if you want, but you may change your mind after a few margaritas.

NativeDevil-I'm so glad you can come. Bring anyone you'd like.

CG-A minor detail, but the fact is that the Pioneer Woman has a link to your site on her site which receives thousands and thousands and millions of hits each day. It's quite an honor, and a well-deserved one at that. You can blame--I mean thank-- the Baroness for the karaoke AND the margaritas.

MPM-It's gonna be good. I'm even more excited after today's meeting.

BHE-That lunch could have lasted for three days and I'd still be laughing and enjoying it. Thanks to you and NNG for helping with all the details. Can't wait for the next meeting. When is that, anyway, in a couple of weeks you say?

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

The meetings are almost as much fun as blogfest!
<><

Diane said...

The Baroness and I already have red eye tickets. Thankfully Miss Meg will be transporting us from our early morning arrival in DC.

Personally, I would sit on your porch and chat the whole time! I cannot wait to see y'all again!

foolery said...

Karaoke? I've never done karaoke. I don't suppose it would be a good idea. I'll sit with Daryl and hold up score cards. Or can we have a gong? Do you have a gong? We need a gong.

I need a margarita. Machine. Be right back.