Monday, November 15, 2010

Miscellany



This was the finish line at Saturday's state cross country track meet at The Plains, Virginia.  Both Mathews teams came in fourth in the state, and freshman Emily Brown came in 12th overall for the girls.

It was a great day.


It was also a long day of driving.  As much as I look forward to getting away, even for a day, it's always nice to return home.  Signs like the one below can be a welcome sight after several hundred miles on the road.


Except this particular one can be a minor irritation as well.

You see, technically this sign is in Mathews already, so Mathews isn't really nine miles away.  The Court House, or village area, is nine miles away. A simple "C.H." on the end of that word would make things right. It's a minor technicality, especially coming from someone with the attention span of a hummingbird who routinely makes blatant errors herself, but I felt compelled to point this out.

As long as we're on the topic of irritating signs, and we were--however unintentionally--one of the signs for Gwynn's Island says Gwynn Island.  In all my years on this planet, I've never heard one soul call it Gwynn Island. It's Gwynn's.

For those of you irritated at my straying off topic, I beg you to tell me what the topic was. The state track meet?  The drive? Signs that are messed up?  Irritation and aggravation?  Hummingbirds?   

Anyway.

After a long day of driving, it was good to come home, even if that home was a mess and the overgrown rose bush at the front door tried to strangle me as I ascended the steps.

Completely unrelated to any of the above except for the part about coming home, this is a reminder that the dogs currently housed in the overflow building of the Humane Society in Gloucester are in dire need of a foster or permanent home. The only place they know as home will close at the end of this month. If you're interested but are not in the local area, we can arrange to have the dog delivered to you. Below are two of the many in need.


Felix(ACORN): Beagle, Dog; Gloucester, VA
Click here to learn more about Felix.

Butch (ACORN): Border Collie, Dog; Gloucester, VA
Click here to read more about Butch.

Click here to view some of the photos from Saturday's cross country meet.

Click here if you're tired of hearing me say click here.

Last but not least, I read on Facebook have it on good authority that today Mathews Mark is celebrating a birthday.  He hasn't been around for a while, but just in case he's reading I wanted to wish him a very happy birthday.

5 comments:

Meg McCormick said...

Wow, you were all the way out in The Plains? That's a haul!

I have a sign story. They built a "bypass" around my wee little hometown in the '60s. Just above town, there was an exit for the road that heads one way into the neighboring town, Thompsontown, and the other way back into my valley, called Pfoutz Valley. Except the state highway folks made the sign say Phoutz instead of Pfoutz. My great aunt provided proof and ultimately had them correct the sign.

Heck, the sign at the end of my street is wrong. It should be B------- Way Road, but the sign stops at "Way." But it's definitely Way Road.

Anonymous said...

run Forrest run!!!

foolery said...

The mystery is solved. I picked up the habit of saying Gwynn Island somewhere, somehow, and I couldn't figure it out, though I knew I had seen it IN PRINT that way. Now I'm in therapy. I think therapy may require a return to the scene of the cri-- I mean, ahem, a return to the spot in question so I learn how to say its name CORRECTLY.

I have to go pack.

abb said...

O I hope those good doggies get a good home!

I just love your sense of writing humor!

Daryl said...

GAH .. and I love the name/word Piankatank .. for some reason that's the post I thought would open .. oh Blogger you are so annoying