Saturday, November 27, 2010

Scenes from Wayland


Wayland Baptist Church was an inadvertent stop a few weeks ago.

Although I took many pictures that day, the one above is probably my favorite.  This headstone struggles to stand even though it would be supported by the church--if only it would lean back.

(I'm sure there's a lesson hidden somewhere in all this. But aside from that, look at the date on this thing.)

Below is a window from the church.


Next to the church is an older building just loaded with character--and a few of its own expressive windows.

Barely visible in these photos is a hook above the door which must have held a light fixture.





But that's just a guess, and we all know about CBW's guesswork.  Chances are good her guess is wrong.


I sure do wish this place could talk.


Behind this church and its charismatic side building is a cemetery, parts of which are being overtaken by Mother Earth.  

I was spellbound by Wayland and grateful to have stumbled upon it on my way to who knows where wherever I was going.  It's a beautiful church with lots of stories to be told, starting with all the unmarked graves in the back.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Old churches, old gravestones. always fascinating. Especially with those glorious fall colors.

Hope your Thanksgiving was a happy one, cbw.

I enjoyed having my American daughter and family back home, and a special Thanksgiving meal she cooked for the family. Lovely. And so great to be at the beach with them at the moment.

Jamie said...

One of the things I love about the Tidewater area is all the really cool churches. They are all gorgeous.

deborah said...

What a quaint little Church and cemetary..enjoying the pictures!

Kay L. Davies said...

Fascinating area you have there, CBW. And lovely, too.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Country Girl said...

Very cool find. Love the leaves against the white of the church.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Excellent stumble upon! I love cemeteries, myself and could spend ridiculous amounts of time there.

Mental P Mama said...

Love these! That last shot looks like there's a sea star on top of the steeple;)