Friday, April 6, 2012

The Look





Perhaps one of the most under-appreciated,

little known skills any good waterman should possess

is the ability to look.

To stare.








To gaze intently off into the distance.








Purposefully scanning the waters.









There are inquisitive sorts of glances like the one above.


****


And very serious ones like below.








When they both stare at the same thing,
something important has their attention.


However, I never took my eyes off them.
So I have no earthly idea what merited their unified gaze.




This is probably my favorite of  the 300+ pictures taken,
although I have many runner-ups






















On a few rare occasions, 









they glanced towards the camera.








and let loose as if they'd been stifling a laugh 


the entire time we'd been out there.







To Whom It May Concern,
Please tell me how I can earn a living taking photographs of these guys.


To These Guys (aka AJ Hurst and Hollywood Johnny Pugh),
Thank you so much for allowing me to accompany you.  I can't wait to go again--that is if you can stand me it.

Love,
Chesapeake Bay Woman


p.s. Thanks also to Charlie and Elsa at the Gazette Journal for featuring these two on the front page of this week's paper.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love, truly love these shots...the Daily Gazette could do (and should) an entire article about these boys, written and photographed by CBW ! Or tv ? Yoo hoo, Discovery Channel !!
LLC

deborah said...

Great that your newspaper featured your photos of these very photogenic fellows...love all of the shots.
Discovery could easily do a reality show about crabbing, as long as you were the producer!
Have a wonderful weekend!

Jamie said...

I want to go! Love the photos.

Daryl said...

i say drop a note to Discovery and tell them they are missing out by not doing a series on these guys ..

Mental P Mama said...

You are so awesome. And got a front page photo credit to boot!

AverettLadyNana said...

I love "the look"...reminds me so much of my granddaddy!!!

Rodney said...

great pictures this is also the
"look" that my granpa wilson the farmer had.....

Anonymous said...

As soon as I finish posting this I'm looking for the Gazette Journal. Hope they're online. Very cool that they ran your photos. --Betsy

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Betsy - If you click on the words Gazette Journal in the post it should take you to the photo.

Rodney - Congratulations! You figured out how to sign on. Excellent.

Happy Friday, it's finally here.

Dghawk said...

Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!

I know what you mean about "the look" though. I've even done it myself when on the water. It's like, "If I look at the horizon long enough, maybe a pirate ship will appear, or a big fish will jump out of the water."....but it never does.

Anonymous said...

LOL as Homer Simpson would say d'oh!!! When I looked back to your post I realized you had already linked it. Nice article, and nice looking little newspaper. --Betsy

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Betsy, the Homer Simpson D'oh is the theme song around here. Glad you found the link. Actually the G-J is a great paper, comes out every Wednesday night/Thursday morning. It would be a wonderful source of local information if you're considering a move here. Covers news from Gloucester County as well as Mathews.

Have a great weekend!

growing wild on waverly lane said...

That look is the same one people get when looking into a crackling fire on a chilly evening. Transfixed. Hypnotized.