Monday, February 21, 2011

Edwards Creek Workboat



This workboat lives on Edwards Creek over on Gwynn's Island.  



From the site Bay Gateways :

"Whether it's a deadrise or skipjack, a pungy or a bugeye, classic Chesapeake workboats are anchored in tradition. Early log-built canoes, sleek schooners and versatile sailing skiffs all inspired builders to craft variations that matched hull shapes, sailing rigs and other features to the promise and perils of working the Chesapeake Bay."



"From the beginning, mariners needed maneuverable, shallow-draft vessels suited to the narrow inlets and shoal waters of the Bay and its tributaries. In the 1800's, exploding demand for Chesapeake oysters drove the evolution of larger, faster boats that could work far from shore in all kinds of weather. New technology supported many changes: sawmills cut lumber for boatbuilders, refrigeration and canning methods improved, and roads and rail lines promised ready access to distant markets. And while small operations continued with traditional gear - hand tongs, dip nets and hand seines - with time, increasingly efficient scrapes, dredges and fishing apparatus became available to help watermen maximize their catches."


Before too long these beautiful boats will be museum pieces.

This one's very much alive; and she's for sale, according to that little sign there to the left of the window.

 If money were no object, she'd be sitting at the end of my dock, and I'd be happy as a clam just sitting in the cabin breathing in the smells of the wood.

There's nothing like it.

p.s. Unrelated to any of this, my friend Meg from Soup is Not a Finger Food, was enjoying time away from home with her family this weekend when she learned that a fire--made worse by Saturday's winds--had taken over her neighborhood, her yard and her home.  Click here to read her incredible story, and feel free to leave words of encouragement, which I'm sure she can use right about now.

6 comments:

deborah said...

Sad to see these beautiful work boats being pushed out of service - I wish you could purchase that boat!

I am amazed at what a positive attitude Meg has had during such a terrifying time. To see how close the fire was to her home just scares the tar out of me. It is so good that the damage was minimal in that no life was lost and material things can be fixed or replaced. If there is anything at all that I can do to help, let me know-

Lynne M said...

My lovely work computer has Meg's site blocked.. ugh. I will try later on my phone. I can only imagine what a terrifying time this must be for her.

Meg McCormick said...

Thanks, CBW, and thanks to the FOCBWs (Friends of...) for popping over to chime in! Things will be fine... it will be interesting to see how the grass grows in this spring. Yesterday I noticed our daffodil bulbs just starting to push through the earth, so we should have some green soon to punctuate the BLACK that is my yard right now. And another silver lining is, there's a cleaning crew coming today to get rid of ashes/soot and hopefully the smoke smell. It's probable that my house will be cleaner today than it ever is when I'm left to my own devices.

Stay tuned, I'll be posting as much as I can on my blog. Thanks for the nod, CBW!

Country Girl said...

Lovely post this morning, my friend. Nice shout out to our friend. So glad they're all safe.

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderful little workboat, CBW. Wish you could buy it!
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Annie said...

Thanks for catching us up with Meg today. I feel like she is part of the family! And I haven't even met any of you yet!