On the same property where the old Gwynn's Island School once stood is a building that used to be Shiloh United Methodist Church.
Shiloh was founded in 1893, and services were held in this building in its previous location across the street until 1976, when the congregation merged with Mathews Chapel in Cobbs Creek.
The building is now used by the Gwynn's Island Civic League.
- The Gwynn's Island Civic League building used to be a church named Shiloh.
- Shiloh United Methodist Church was moved from its original location directly across the street.
- The site on which it now sits used to be the Gwynn's Island School.
- The Gwynn's Island School was moved across the way to house what is now the Gwynn's Island Museum.
Anyone else confused?
- No matter which building or patch of land you pick out in Mathews County, rest assured it has lived
a thousandseveral lives.
- The Gwynn's Island Festival is held on this site each year.
- Last year Chesapeake Bay Woman wore a crab hat to the festival.
- She was shocked to realize she was not the only one.
- A lady at one of the food booths wore one too.
- This year's festival will be Saturday, June 25.
- Chesapeake Bay Woman thinks it would be a grand idea to sell crab hats, since last year so many people asked where she purchased hers.
- (She purchased hers from a campground over on the Eastern Shore and cannot believe how much joy this one small hat with crazy claws has brought her.)
- Anyone wishing to reserve booth space at the Gwynn's Island Festival should contact Cricket Call at (804) 725- 7577.
- My mother and I played softball against Cricket back in the late 1970s/early 1980s.
- Oh, how I loved the summer softball leagues back then.
- I'll stop now before I venture too far off track.