Thursday, February 3, 2011

Three Things

Edwards Creek, Gwynn's Island

Welcome to Three Thing Thursday, where I share three things and you share three things related to whatever topic happens to randomly spring to mind.

Let's begin.

1.  Yesterday the thermometer read 40-some degrees as I left the county at 6:15 a.m. for work.  By the time I reached Gloucester Point, about 30 minutes later, the temperature had risen to 57.  No lie. By lunch it was a balmy 67.  Overnight the temperatures plummeted back down into the 30s.  I'm pretty sure Mother Nature needs a small dose of lithium to stabilize her mood swings.  However, if she feels like getting stuck for the rest of her life in that 67-degree mood, I wholeheartedly encourage and support her efforts to do so.

2.  The DIY Network's 2011 Blog Cabin house renovation in Mathews is well underway.  Click here for a link to the latest activity, which includes voting for the bathroom design. The site describes the home as being in Susan, and technically it is.  However if I were in charge of that opening paragraph, I'd say the house is in Mathews County, Virginia.  People who live here an hour away from here (much less your average DIY Network viewer) don't even know where Mathews is, much less Susan, much less I can't believe how many times I've said much less.  Of course this is just a minor suggested change.  Otherwise everything looks fine.  Carry on, DIY Network! We're glad to have you here.

2b.  Dear DIY Network, if you have any connections in other segments of the reality TV world or Animal Planet the Comedy Channel, and those connections are looking for ideas, boy have I got a few good ones and they all involve Mathews County.  Surely by now you understand we're not only loaded with character, we're loaded with characters

3.  Today I'll venture down to the Court House and spend half my life half the day going through property records. Then I'll spend the rest of my life  the day at the library before heading to Irvington for Chesapeake Bay Daughter's basketball game.  Between the county records, the library and the offices of the Gazette Journal, I won't see the light of day again until summer, when hopefully the book will be behind me rather than looming like a catastrophic asteroid hurtling through space directly towards the 23076 zip code  like a thundercloud closely overhead.

Now it's your turn to share three things, whatever is on your mind.

Have a great Thursday.

12 comments:

Annie said...

1.One child not well Monday. One child not well today. Grandma also not feeling not well this afternoon. Dinner out with the family canceled.
2. At least the Major HUGE cyclone doesn't appear to have done as much damage or caused casualties as was feared.
3. Lovely to hear my sister calling from the danger zone this morning, safe and well.

Kay L. Davies said...

1. One deer came through the snow drifts to our tree to find frozen fruit tonight.
2. When it left, instead of going under the dog's window, it went across the street, where it came nose to nose with a neighbor's cat. I don't know who was more surprised, the deer or the cat.
3. The deer continued down the street, so Lindy rushed toward the back door. Dick let her out, and she was gone for quite a while because it's no longer -35 Celsius (which is 31 below 0 Fahrenheit). But she didn't bring back a deer, or even the neighbor's cat.

velvet350 said...

1.Mailing DIY Network a Dictionary so they can look up the definition of "Cabin". A 3900 sq. ft. farmhouse it is not.(Many calling it Blog Mansion)

2.Wishing DIY would have two sweepstakes; One renovating any type of house and call it Blog Reno. The other, Blog Cabin, nothing but Cabins.

3. Hoping one of your many adventures takes you, your camera and zoom lens to snap some shots of the Blog Mansion.(from a far)
Nothing wrong with wishing.

deborah said...

1. Taking hubby for an ultrasound of his gall bladder this morning. At least the rain washed all the snow away:) Now its just brrr! cold.
2. I do vote for the items on the DIY blog, since I plan on winning that house/cabin/mansion/place in Mathews County.
3. You are quite the poet, dontcha know it?

Anonymous said...

1. Coyotes killed 23 cows in neighboring Gloucester county in a matter of days. I am in a panic.

2. They have been seen at Blakes, up the road. I need a gun for my walks.

3. Uh oh, I guess I just blew a kiss to homeland security...
23 cows!

Mum

Mrs F with 4 said...

1. I have not slept more than 2 hours a night since last Friday. I am quite grumpy, and also too tired to sleep. Is that possible?

2. So I went to bed extra early and..... both girls were up all night with fevers. Sigh.

3. Only had about a foot and a half of snow, which is not much for us, so I shovelled, happily enough until...

3a. I noticed a track of dog pee up my drive. Except no dog has THAT much pee inside them. My car, however, DOES have that much coolant inside it. Or, at least, it did.

3b. Time to flutter my eyelashes at Guy, my amazing friend. Who just happens to be a mechanic. I wonder if he will marry me when I grow up?

Anonymous said...

First, @ Mum,
There's nothing wrong with taking a gun on your walks....just know how to use it. Maybe you could take your bb gun? Oh, the neighbors might not love that, though. Hmmmm....Just a thought....how the heck did coyotes get to Gloucester?

1) We are on the countdown to spring. Last weekend was a tease here in GA...close to 70's. Temps back down to the thirties now, but relief is not too far off!
2) TGI Thursday
3) Woke up this morning to the sound of a dog farting....makes me laugh so hard. My husband doesn't think it's so funny....my dog can really let one rip! And then she acts like she doesn't know it was her. I don't know where she gets it from.

Happy Thursday,
Middle Sis

Caution/Lisa said...

1. My clothing is going to smell like what is in the crockpot by the time I get to work.
2. Who knew that vitamin D deficiency could mimic perimenopause?
3. 67 degrees? What kind of foreign language is that ? :)

Daryl said...

Well lets see ..

Toonman's hospital roommate David, David's boyfriend,our friend/adopted son Joseph and me .. we had a fun evening hanging out in their room watching their respective IVs drip ...

Surgery was postponed til Feb 15 .. I am not happy

BUT the horrific snow we were supposed to get didnt happen so I am happy even tho I am tired cranky and unable to reconcile how 'lets get this surgery done ASAP' has turned into 'its okay to wait another 2 weeks'

Meg McCormick said...

1. The Asian Bistro around the corner serves up really good Pho, but the stuff I just took out in no way resembles any Pad Thai I've had before. It's good, but it ain't Pad Thai.

2. If I were taking the orders at the Bistro counter, every time someone ordered "FOE" I would have to say "No - FUH. You want FUH." As a result, I usually won't order something I don't now how to pronounce.

3. Had to talk to a young coworker who wrote nasty things about the company in a blog post she claims she thought was private. To quote Dooce, "Be ye not so stupid."

foolery said...

1. Okay, your weather this week? Bersactly like ours. Freezing at night, nearly 70 (or sometimes over) in the day. To quote Chas, a.k.a. The Weather Man, "That's a 40-degree temperature differential!" Yes, we're just that nerdy.

2. What kind of coyotes are you all growing? I've never heard of coyotes who could kill cows! Our are about 35-40 pounds. Our coyotes, that is -- not our cows. That's just silly.

3. I wrote up the new heels-on-haystacks story and posted it at lunch, just for you. No bull.

Mental P Mama said...

1. The Virginia weather is irksome to me.
2. The Connecticut weather is irksomer to me.
3. She's on Facebook???!!!!