Thursday, February 28, 2013

Three Things




Once upon a time, long ago, back in the days when I actually put some effort into this blog, Thursdays were reserved as the day for everyone to share three things.  These three things could be related, random, important, unimportant--basically whatever happened to be on your mind at the moment. And three was merely a suggestion.  If you wanted to say two things or five things, you were encouraged to do so.

Then at some point, mostly due to the fact that I was spewing forth random thoughts practically every day anyway, I dropped Three Thing Thursday.  Why limit free association/ADD-like blog posts to one day of the week?

Besides, I learned a long time ago most people only come here for the photos.

I have seriously considered changing my blog subtitle to:  "Come for the pictures.  Stay for the insanity. And the inanity."










But as usual, I digress.

My point in mentioning all this is that when I started this blog almost five years ago during a really bad (understatement) time in my life, I tried to blend my weird sense of humor with stories about Mathews County.  Now that I am the mother of two teenagers with busy lives and hectic schedules, I simply don't have the time to devote to coming up with topics and stories.

But I do love taking pictures. And usually, if only a few days a week, I can sit down with absolutely nothing in mind to write about and spew forth a few random words spawned by the photographs or by whatever is going on in our lives at the moment.

Or by the direction of the wind.

Or by something shiny.

Anyway...









Here lately, likely due to the winter doldrums brought on by the months of January and February, I just haven't felt like blogging at all.

However, in honor of the fact that March is on our heels and the daffodils are starting to bloom, I will resurrect Three Thing Thursday, if only for this week.

I'll go first with my random three things.  Feel free to leave a comment with your one, two, three, seven or thirteen things.  Whatever tickles your fancy.

Let's begin.

1.  My daughter announced that she was selected to be co-captain of the Mathews JV soccer team.  Ever since her undefeated JV basketball season, I've felt more than a little let down, empty.  No opportunities to jump up and down and cheer from the sidelines. No incessant Facebook posts talking about how good the team is.  Nada. Soccer scrimmages start next week.  Hallelujah.  I cannot wait. 

2.  My son, a junior in high school who also takes classes at the local community college as part of the Chesapeake Bay Governor's School program, announced that he was selected to go to Boys State this summer. The American Legion sponsors Boys and Girls State to teach about government, leadership and citizenship. Middle Sis went to Girls State when she was at Mathews High School.

2b. (I don't think my name was ever in the running for Girls State in high school.  Baby Sis was overlooked as well. That's OK. We have Middle Sis and CB Son to represent.  Baby Sis and I will handle the half-marathon aspect of this family. By the way, the end of April is our next 13.1 mile escapade, in Nashville no less.  There will be some stories to tell after that trip.)

3.  Just when I think that February is going to suck the ever-lovin' life and every last bit of energy right on out of me, my children make me smile, make me proud, and make me happy.

So there are my three-ish things.

Now it's your turn.

Happy March First Eve.



10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your # 3 is better than anything I have to say, and I completely relate. Congratulations to both CB son & daughter...
LLC

Ann Marie said...

being the half marathoners is hard work too ya know.. :)

Jamie said...

1. Wedding planning is the devil. Seriously, I think Satan has a hand in it. I'm so stressed, I just ate 3 chocolate chip cookies, not for breakfast for my breakfast dessert. At this rate, I won't fit into any dress smaller than tent size. Or maybe a nice mu mu. With flip flops. Maybe I can go with that theme.

2. This coming week I have to make baked ziti for 100 for the Brat Child's cub scout banquet. I don't know what the heck I was thinking either.

3. I haven't felt like blogging either because of the winter blahs. Or just the blahs in general. I rarely even comment on blogs I'm so blah. Hoping the impending spring and a trip down to the 'Ville in April will take care of it. (And maybe some time with friends and wine... maybe lunch)

Mental P Mama said...

1. I got the bloggy blahs, too.
2. Yay for the CBKiddos!!
3. April 27 is coming! Jimmy Buffet is the entertainment that night!!

Daryl said...

Awesome pix .. i however come for the blather .. i love your free associating associations .. so if i don't run or even walk fast could i still join you'all in Nashvegas and hang out ..maybe cheer .. that is if my trip to Paris, France isnt that week/weekend???

Meg McCormick said...

1. Thank the goddesses that February (usually) only has 28 days. It is my least favorite month for many reasons and that it is shorter than all the other months is a small but real silver lining in my book.

2. I invite Deltaville Jamie (and anyone else who wants a giggle) to reference a blog post I wrote on 2/26/10 concerning muu muus. Google soupisnotafingerfood dot com and muu muu. (Not sure I can post the link. Maybe I'll throw it on your FB page, Jamie?)

3. If you've been blogging for 5 years, then so have I. Blink of an eye.

Anonymous said...

1. After 3 operations I think I'm finally fixed!!
2. When snI was coming up we never heard of soccer,look at it now!
3.Bought enough stuff at Farm Fresh to get gas at 3.48 a gallon!!

Have a greet day

Country Girl said...

1. Boys State is a big deal. Congratulations to your wonderful son.

2. I hate paying my monthly bills and the end of February crept up on me. Must do this tonight.

3. I miss you.

Middle Sis said...

Yeah, your kids are awesome. So proud of them, too!! I did not have children, but I could only hope that if I did, they would be like yours.

1)I am hoping that I did figure this out and I can finally leave a comment through my Google account. If there is a picture of two boxers next to my name, then it worked!

2) I am excited for this season in tennis because I have joined a team that is very strong and we are playing A5, which won't mean anything to you guys, but it's great for me! Ballers! (Can you tell I've had my evening wine?)

3) I have three business days of work left and then I'm going to Cancun. I cannot wait!!

4) All is good, but I love and miss my family....and Mathews County in general.

Middle Sis

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Middle Sis, it worked! I'm very envious of your Cancun trip, have fun.