Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thankful - Part Two


This adorable house is located on the Woman's Club Road, on the right, if I remember correctly (and there's a good chance I won't). I dream of living in a house like this because I actually think I could keep it clean. And insect-free.
Val over at Monkeys on the Roof asked me to name seven things I’m thankful for. Below are the remaining six (health was discussed on Tuesday).

1. My children
I have two great ones. They make me laugh, I make them laugh; we have a good time and a good life. They are grounded, good natured, helpful, thoughtful, and very sloppy (but they can’t help that last one because they inherited my domestic disability gene).

2. Friends and Family
I have undying support from a small network of very good friends. Any one of my immediate--albeit nutty--family would lay on the railroad tracks for me if I asked. (I wouldn’t ask now, but when I was younger I may have asked Middle Sister to do this. I was an ornery older sister.)

In spite of my mistakes and the occasional lapse in judgement (in this instance, occasional means multiple, many, as in “When is this Chesapeake Bay Woman ever going to learn her lesson?), they support me through all of life’s twists and turns.

3. Living in a small town
I think I talk about how much I love it here just about every day. I love that there are still people here who remember the simpler times; I love the beauty all around us. I love that we’re not The Norm and are not covered with pavement and shopping malls. Just fiddler crabs.

I love going into the grocery store and having complete strangers say hello. There’s usually a good chance I’ll run into someone I do know, and it is a nice feeling not to be drowning in a sea of anonymity. I’m drowning in clutter, but definitely not anonymity.

4. The house I live in
First of all, I am grateful to have shelter and a roof of any description over my head. But I also have a view out the back door that never ceases to amaze me.

If my parents and I pooled our money there is no way in the world we could ever afford to purchase the property we have now. We’re extremely fortunate that my grandfather left it to my parents, who kept it in the family. On the flip side it would have been nice not to have built the house on top of the world’s largest ant hill, where killer ants numbering in the billions plot and scheme each and every day of their lives how to make me crazy. Crazier.

5. An income, a job, a means to support myself
If I had my way, I would not work a paying job at all, but alas like most people I must. I wish that this blogging thing paid money, but it doesn’t. So, to pay the bills I have to commute over 50 miles one way to a job that I really do not care for, but which I am thankful for because I don’t know what I’d do without it. Oh yes, I do know what I’d do without it: I’d be living out of my camper and driving a lawn mower to the courthouse to stand on Hyco Corner and beg for a Hardee’s biscuit.

6. This New Hobby of Mine
This hobby came about because I was going through a period of unexpected upheaval. Instead of tying a cinder block to my ankle and jumping off Gwynn’s Island bridge, I dove headfirst into De Nile and created a nice little world here on the internet where everything is good (well, most everything, family bickering notwithstanding).

I am thankful for all of the folks who comment here every day; I’m thankful for anyone who reads my hot air, and I’m thankful that I do not have internet access at my work because otherwise they’d need to stage an intervention and send me to Blogaholics Anonymous.

I wish each of you a safe, warm and peaceful Thanksgiving—and don’t forget to laugh.

14 comments:

Val said...

love it - Matthews sounds like my kind of place.
thanks for the smiles again :-)

Annie said...

Thankyou...I am very thankful I found your blog, or life would be very dull at my place a lot of the time!

Enjoy your life and Mathews, and also Thanksgiving!

Annie

Anonymous said...

Thanks - Eat well!

Big Hair Envy said...

Are fiddler crabs on the CBFamily Thanksgiving Day menu?? Bwahahahaha!

Have a safe and happy holiday. I'll see you SOON:)

Anonymous said...

I am thankful that CBNephew remembers things that the rest of us nuts don't. For instance, CBNephew said yesterday regarding Thanksgiving," I hope this year Danger ( family dog ) doesn't eat the turkey!" Of course, we had blocked that out, but yes, it did happen. Apparently CBMother made 2 turkeys, and one of them didn't quite make it to the table...
Love,
Baby Sis

Yolanda said...

I am glad to have found your blog.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Val, thank you for reading and for giving me this assignment.

Annie, Thank you, I'm glad we can entertain...I'll bet your life isn't dull at all, though.

Anonymous - Thank you. We're already well on our way, and the "main event" isn't until later this afternoon.

BHE - We're saving the fiddler crabs for Christmas, skewered and roasted over the spit. But they aren't quite fat enough yet, so we're loading them up with leftovers from today.

Baby Sis - Don't use all the hot water. I can hear you upstairs right now using it all up. Yes, I, too, had blocked out the Dog Eats Turkey episode, conveniently. I guess Chesapeake Bay Children have not yet mastered that survival skill...

Yolanda - Glad to have you here.

Unknown said...

I am so thankful for you! You take lovely pictures! You are hilarious. I love your blog. Thanks for being my blog friend!

Bear Naked said...

I HEART that house.
If I win the lottery I am going to buy it and you can move in with me.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family and hopefully you end up with the largest piece of the wishbone.

Bear((( )))

Mental P Mama said...

Blessings to you! Ants and all, you are so lucky;) Hardee's biscuits notwithstanding. Cannot wait to get there.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Reb/LWK - Thank you so much for your kind words, and thank you for all your positive energy and support.

BN - I heart that house too, big time. They certainly do not build 'em like this anymore.(And I hope you do win the lottery.)

MPM - Same to you, and I can't wait for your visit.

Unknown said...

What a great list of Thankfuls. I'm so glad you are on here to brighten the day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Karen Deborah said...

well so now at least we know that it is expensive which is what I figured being so gorgeous and all.
Have a wonderful family day and enjoy the time away from work. Your adorable you know.