Saturday, October 18, 2008
Aside from the couple of main roads in Mathews County, most other roads (side or back roads) look exactly like this. You could stand right on the yellow line and not see or hear a car for 15 minutes (or days) or longer, depending on where you are.
One day I stopped my car in the middle of the road and stood there taking pictures. In this case, it only took approximately 3.25 minutes before I heard a car approaching from behind. Actually, what I really heard was the beating of my heart as I struggled to put away my camera, leap into my car, put the car in gear, miss the correct gear, rev the engine in neutral, and sweat bullets while the car came closer and closer to my car which I've said was stopped in the middle of the road. I uttered a few select words, screamed, cried, mopped my brow, took a deep breath and finally started moving just before the vehicle got close enough to realize there was Some Lady standing in the middle of the road, in the middle of nowhere, taking pictures.
And just what was I taking pictures of?
The answer depends on your perspective and how long you've lived--or not--in a place like this.
Here are some possible answers:
1. This is a photo of the sun glistening through the last green leaves of summer. The trees gracefully define the bend in the road, and the bend in the road represents the change in seasons from summer to fall. Fall is just around the corner.
2. This picture represents Man vs. Nature: We civilized creatures carve and pave roads through nature, but nature finds a way to shine through and co-exist.
3. This picture proves how ridiculous it is for a grown woman to stand in the middle of a road, stare at the trees and take picture after picture when in fact she's right in the middle of a two-lane road--on a corner no less--where a car could come right up on her at any moment.
4. Someone should call the law when a picture like this is taken.
5. This is a picture of nothing. The End.
There are many possible descriptions or interpretations. If you have any to add to the list, feel free. My vote is a combination of #1 and #5 above.
But next time, I'm pulling off on the shoulder to play this game.