Thursday, October 3, 2013

Three Things










The months weeks are just zipping right by.  Although I thought I just typed these same words yesterday, evidently it's Thursday all over again. That means it's time to share three things, whatever happens to be on your mind.

Here are mine.

1.  I am officially out of work until the government reopens.  Although I ought to be concerned, oddly I am not.  Back in the Dark Ages of college when I worked at Busch Gardens during the summers, there were days when park attendance was lower than projected.  To save money, my supervisor would ask for volunteers to cut their shifts early. I was always the first to volunteer.  No, I didn't get paid for those forfeited hours, but I never viewed it that way.  Instead, I focused on the fact that I had the afternoon off!  An unexpected gift of free time!  There must be something wrong with me, I've always been this way.

2.  Baby Sis's birthday was yesterday, and my present to her was registration in the April 2014 Nashville Half Marathon.  It's just as much a gift to myself, because a trip with Baby Sis--anywhere--is more fun than a barrel of monkeys.  (For the time being we will ignore the fact that a half marathon can hardly be confused with fun and birthday gifts, but see #1.  My brain clearly is malfunctioning wired differently.)

3.  Today I am attending the state fair for the first time since 2008. Now this will be fun.  Click here and here for blog posts about my previous adventures there.

Now it's your turn to share three things. Or two things. Or more things.  Whatever floats your boat.





7 comments:

Meg McCormick said...

1. I have a new client who's keeping me very busy this week!

2. I woke up in the middle of the night with that tell-tale tickle in the back of my throat; I might be getting sick.

3. Thanks for finding my glasses!!

Kay L. Davies said...

1. I think it is great you and your leaf-blower found Meg's glasses. Now, with your free time, you can invent an app for that, one that doesn't require a leaf-blower.
2. I agree, time off beats working any time, and the compensation for working is only money. It isn't any fun.
3. I can't imagine a half-marathon as a birthday gift. It sounds like a gift for yourself so you won't have to run alone, but hey, your sister probably thinks running with you is better than a party.
I don't have three things happening to me right now so you'll have to take three responses to your post to be "things".
Luv, K

growing wild on waverly lane said...

1. The cat poked me in the eye this morning to make sure I was living. Slept well.

2. The cat poked me in the eye yesterday when I was napping to make sure I was living.

3. I checked the obituaries this morning to make sure I was living.

Daryl said...

what were meg's glasses doing hiding in the leaves?

why do cats feel the need to poke us, we dont poke them .. or do we

i still wont be thinking the Repugs for this shitdown even if you are enjoying it

Anonymous said...

1. The word ID thingy seems to think something crazy will be going down tomorrow-- it's the eve of "loca"-or maybe it is someONE crazy: " 111 eveloca " password
will prove that I am not a robot.

2. I just might enjoy being a robot--never mind, Ray Bradbury already wrote a short story about that.

3. Your observations at the county fair are hilarious. (I feel sorry for the animals that have to be there, though. It's hot and nobody asked them if they wanted to be there.)

4. I worked two summers in an exposition hall at our county fair years ago; booths are often staffed by locals and I worked selling leather and copper jewelry. (My job working at the high school paid so little I couldn't get through the summer w/o another income.) On my breaks I would go to other booths & concessions around the fair and was very touched by the welcoming spirit of the traveling "carnies". When they found out I worked at the fair,I was ushered into a kindred community I never would've expected.

LLC

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

LLC-I just love the whole fair/carnival atmosphere. The people watching is fantastic. Eve Loca sounds like the stage name of one of the performers I saw yesterday...great fun. Hopefully I'll post some pictures next week.

Annie said...

Baby number three arrived very quickly, 15 minutes after daughter arrived at the hospital! Whew, they were all in shock!!

I am finally back home on Sunday after minding the grandchildren. What fun!

The weather is crazy. hot one day, cool the next. Guess that is what Spring is in the Tropics. Or should I say the sub tropics.
I could never run a half marathon.
I admire you for doing so.

Hope you have a great w'e. And that you might not be off work for too long, for the state of your finances, and the country, if nothing else.