Thursday, October 2, 2008

Baby Sister




Above is a picture of our creek. Seemingly unrelated, below is a picture of our daffodil field that I took back in March.




I know five people who are celebrating birthdays today, one of whom is my Baby Sister. You know, the one with the saucy comments who likes to put chewing gum and lipstick on my cups and glasses.

She no longer lives in Mathews, although we've been trying to entice her back here. She probably doesn't want to come back because she's afraid I will torture her with the battery-operated train that had a functioning headlight and an engineer whose head bobbled back and forth. I would turn that thing on and watch her run in absolute, sheer, utter terror. I laughed and laughed. I confess I am ashamed of myself for treating her that way, and I admit it was a horrible thing to do. But I sure had fun doing it.

When she was younger, Baby Sister's picture was in the local paper. She was picking daffodils with our grandfather, the daffodil farmer. It's one of my favorite pictures of her and him.

Baby Sis, for your birthday I give you a picture of the creek, and a picture of the daffodils. Both beckon you to return. And while I do still have that train, I promise I won't put any batteries in it.

Speaking of grandfathers and festive occasions, tomorrow I'm going to relay a short story about our great-grandfather, the blacksmith.

Happy Birthday Baby Sister and to my other friends celebrating birthdays today.

9 comments:

Bear Naked said...

Happy Birthday CB Baby Sister.
I am sending you a virtual birthday gift of a tube of bright red lipstick and a pack of Wrigley's Doublemint gum.

Enjoy!!

Bear((( )))

tj said...

..."Happy Birthday" CBbbSis'! Enjoy - and may you leave your trademark lipstick "kiss" on every wine glass in town! lol... ;o)

...Certainly by now CBbbSis' knows that the train will only go in circles and is not able to follow her, right? And that it is perfectly safe to come back home? Just what have you been tellin' this poor girl CBW? lol...

...Love the photos too - beautiful!

...Blessings... :o)

Mental P Mama said...

What Bear said...I can't wait for her to move back there, that's when I'll be down for a visit;) Happy Birthday Baby Sis!

Val said...

happy birthday to your baby sis - that stuff probably made her stronger and more independent! i was the youngest too :-)

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Lipstick Queen. Uh, ummm...I didn't just say that. CBW made me...anyway, I hope Baby Sister has the best one yet, without being terrorized by battery operated trains, and bloggers who take unwarranted liberties.
the Dafodile picture is to die for! Where is the original from the newspaper? Surely someone in Mathews has a copy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks!
I don't think that train has affected me so much. Now I'm only petrified of insects,drunken pilots, train OPERATORS (particularly those with cell phones), adult ice cream truck drivers, ex-boyfriends who constantly bring me lime green "gatorade" when I'm not thirsty and insist that I drink some,and people I don't know. That's pretty normal, right?
Love,
Baby Sis

foolery said...

That's so weird -- I'm afraid of drunken insects with cell phones bearing gatorade, too!

It's a long story.

Happy birthday Baby Sis!

-- Laurie @ Foolery

Karen Deborah said...

awhhh schweeeet. Happy Birthday to the baby sister from me too!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to your sister : ). I am so glad you still have that train! You are a great keeper of things! Wowser!