Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sign











































These were taken at Aaron's Beach on Sunday, prior to my departure for The Work Trip. The day was a Goldilocks ideal of not too hot and not too cold.

Just right.

I returned from the big city last night. The trip was for a two-day training class that should have been one day, but whatever. The consultants conducting the course no doubt convinced someone that stretching it out to two days would be better for them since they would earn twice as much.

My spare time was spent ambling around the grocery stores.

(Most tourists might visit the local museums or other landmarks. No, I drive around looking for the nearest supermarket, where I can easily waste spend an hour or more just looking.)

Although we have two great grocery stores here in Mathews, sometimes I miss the days of being greeted at the door by the smell of something other than fried chicken. Don't get me wrong, I love fried chicken so much I could eat it every single day. But the smells that greet you in a northern Virginia store are heady and exotic. A food fanatic's dream come true.

(On the other hand, an entire aisle dedicated to organic dog food may be excessive. But it's certainly different.)

On one of my exploratory adventures, I stumbled upon a shopping center overflowing with food options. There were at least three Indian restaurants, several Thai, one Salvadorean and one that claimed to be gourmet Russian.

In spite of all this food obsession focus on different foods, not even the lure of readily available, great food could ever entice me to leave Mathews permanently. Temporarily maybe, but not permanently.

No, I am perfectly content with the selections here. I will gladly stop to savor the aroma of fried chicken and will consider it a gentle reminder of how grateful I am to live in such a beautiful, unique place.




7 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm pretty sure vodka is classified as 'Gourmet Russian' I can't wait to visit the beach this weekend even if its raining

Ann Marie said...

Wegman's.. the end.
no.. Wegman's pimento cheese with jalapeno.. THE END!

growing wild on waverly lane said...

Wasn't that a Salvadorean eatery that caused all the bridesmaids such grief in the movie Bridesmaids?

Country Girl said...

Gourmet Russian?

Daryl said...

hey you know Zabars will always be here to welcome you back ...

Anonymous said...

Whats up with the posted sign ?? mm

Kay L. Davies said...

So, you didn't trespass, you just switched to longer lenses to get a closeup of the sign?
I've never seen a Salvadorean restaurant anywhere, but I've seen a Mcdonalds in Russia.
K