Monday, January 13, 2014

Town Point Landing













These were taken last Thursday from the public landing below the Court House called Town Point.














The day was sunny, crisp and clear.















And the tide was unusually low.













As has been the theme here lately, there wasn't a hint of wind.  














Not even a whisper.















The tide was so low...












(...how low was it?)











It was so low that perfectly respectable sailboats 
pretended to need ropes to secure them even though 
they couldn't move an inch if they wanted to.


~~~~~~~


Over the weekend we experienced quite the weather event. Saturday, a whirlpool of various hot and cool temperatures caused quite the brief but intense storm.  Depending on who you ask we either had a tornado or the next closest thing.

All I suffered was a few downed tree limbs.  There are stories of trees landing on homes, but so far I've not heard of any major injuries, thank goodness.

As quickly as it came, the storm passed.  Sunday was filled with sunshine and thousands hundreds of Canada geese who insisted on using my back yard as a grazing ground. Upon arriving home from the grocery store and spying the trespassers, I took the car for a spin in the back yard to chase them off.  Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimmer of something sparkly and shiny coming from the sliding doors on the back corner of my house.  

After the geese were gone, I stopped the car in the middle of the back yard and glanced in the direction of the Something Sparkly inside my house. There standing proudly in my living room was my Christmas tree, mocking me, the person who should have taken down the lights and decorations instead of chasing off Canada geese or buying groceries.

In other words, things are back to normal after the storm.

And my Valentines Christmas tree still stands.



3 comments:

Jamie said...

I just took down the tree last night and threw it on the burn pile. Glad you faired well in the storm. The Tidewater is starting to become Tornado Alley.

Meg McCormick said...

So that's the answer to, where was the weather front? It was supposed to get really warm here but it never did. We had cool rain and that was it.

I remember a number of years back when southern MD was sort of the tornado alley... bunch of them tracked through the general Waldorf area. Guess the track has dipped down into VA. STAY SAFE!

If it makes you feel any better, my neighbors' tree is still up too. And theirs, I think, is a live tree. We still haven't undecorated our front door.

Country Girl said...

Ah, don't sweat it. You'll get to it eventually.

We had some wacky weather too but nothing as severe as what you experienced.