Monday, January 4, 2010

Mark's House, Part II


Here's a side view of the 1700s house where eligible bachelor Mathews Mark lives as caretaker.

Saturday I stopped by to legally trespass take a tour.

Although we're not 100% sure who originally owned the house the current property owner sounds nothing short of a Renaissance Man. Mark said the man has been a pilot, a ski resort owner, a lawyer--I could not keep up with all the job titles.

(When I say we're not 100% sure who originally built the house, nor are we sure about all the job titles, what I mean is that Mark told me, but I did not retain those details thanks to ADD the wonderfully photogenic yard and house which distracted me. Same thing with most any other aspect of the narrated part of the tour except for the ghost story. I always pay particular attention to ghost stories.)


Here's what Mark looks like when he catches someone trespassing in his yard. He smiles and appears happy to see you; welcoming.

His mother Pookie, on the other hand, does not smile when she catches me someone trespassing on her property on Gwynn's Island. Ask me how I know, or click here to find out.

Mark invited us in and led us all around the house which is so full of character words do not apply. You have to feel it; smell it; see it; experience it.

You must crouch and duck your head as you ascend a narrow, winding stairway into a section of the house evidently reserved for 18th-century leprechauns. (We tall people were not in abundance in the 1700s I suppose.)

You must twist and wind your way through this room which adjoins that room which then leads to another cozy nook, and then to the servants' quarters which is where the ghost lives. The ghost story is for another time, but it's a good one.

In addition to the house and the resident lady ghost, there are stunningly gorgeous elm trees in the yard - one looks so old George Washington himself may have slept under it. Or maybe it was Blackbeard. Maybe Blackbeard buried some treasure down Haven Beach and to distract would-be thieves he traveled to Mathews Court House and slept in the Hardees drive-thru after waiting thirty-two minutes for an order under the tree in this yard.

Or maybe--just maybe--Chesapeake Bay Woman's imagination is so daggone lively that we've gone from a post about Eligible Bachelor Mark and his 1700s house to Blackbeard falling asleep under a tree, and it's time to snap out of it and act like we have some sense.

Stay tuned tomorrow for more shots from Saturday, including one of the aforementioned tree and another which pertains to the lady ghost.

Just don't hold your breath waiting for me to act like I have any sense.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Mark's house sounds interesting! Maybe we can have a sleepover at blogfest and invite the ghosts.

Did you ever have those sleepovers as a kid CBW?

BOSSY said...

Eligible Bachelor Mark seems yummy. Even through a window watching a trespasser.

Ann Marie said...

Mark peeking out the window is just too cute...

*WAVE* Hi mark!

someone shoot me... it is Monday.. and work day.. and school day.. ugh.

Unknown said...

Since, Mark said that the man is a ski resort owner he must have a top ski resort in the location. I am I right?

Caution/Lisa said...

I'm in love with Mark...or the house...or its current owner. It's just so much easier to type that than it is to turn this computer off and get back to reality.

Mental P Mama said...

This is getting good....

And my wv? ratturds. I sh*t you not!

Daryl said...

LOVE that shot of Mark at the window and I LOVED reading about Mrs Pookie .. LOVE the name Pookie .. I promise to use LOVE only once more ..but not now

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Yes a Blogfest'10 muust do!
Cant wait to crash I mean visit your place Mark!
<><

ghostless said...

Those of you who just met me know I am reluctant to go seek out ghosts. So I haven't even commented but have been flipping back to the comments to follow along....WV I have to type in to post this....whicre...come on! witchery!!! I believe there is another side that blurs into ours sometimes, we all shared our stories, it's fun to talk about, but I just don't believe in invoking or seeking out the other side. The old be careful what you ask for. We each have our own personal "personality quirks or "Demons", "ghosts" from the past, "skeltons in the closets" all those terms we use to describe our daily individual or relationship problems...like "baggage".
On a very serious note... we don't need to disturb an unknown entity's "baggage" for existing so close to our reality.
O.K. that's way too heavy for a blog comment...wishing all of you will remain forever "ghostless"

Jamie said...

Can't wait for the ghost story... I have spent tons of time in Old House Woods chasing ghosties and ghoulies and would love to learn about another Mathews ghost.

mathews Mark said...

ok just a taste the ghost (which I hope is female) likes to move pictures lock doors and break things. She or He has not shown it self yet but I am waiting with open arms. as for blog fest if you come to sandpiper I will be there. My best friend in the world (Liz) owns it and the food is great. (had to get a plug in for Liz she is a wonderful person but alas all the good ones seem to be taken plus her husband Jason is bigger than me and also a good friend LOL) back to the ghost i am trying to do some research and will let CBW in on what I find . Any questions you have I will try to answer that is if my son will let me use his lap top.Life in Mathews what a world. Mathews Mark

Meg McCormick said...

FASCINATING Mark! I think it would be interesting to trace property records and see if you can connect anything significant in the house's hundreds of years with the spook's pranks.

I think MPM is joking about her word verification.

tj said...

..."Or maybe--just maybe--Chesapeake Bay Woman's imagination is so daggone lively that we've gone from a post about Eligible Bachelor Mark and his 1700s house to Blackbeard falling asleep under a tree, and it's time to snap out of it and act like we have some sense." - BINGO! *giggle*

...No interior photos? And no photos of Mark other than lookin' thru a window? Seriously, if you're tryin' to put an end to Mark's bachelorhood then we, *ahem*, need to talk... *giggle*

...(lol at MPM's comment:o)

...Great place Mark and "hi!" *waving*

...Blessings all... :o)

~my word verif': "kitchi". Cute, no?

Country Girl said...

Is this house going to be on the Mathews Tour this summer? I'd love to see it. Or get a private tour.

Um, I didn't mean that how it sounded. Or perhaps I did!

My WV: nospond.
I meant to respond, but I did a nospond instead.
(I know. Not nearly as good as the ones you come up with, which are super clever.)

big hair envy said...

Again, looks like Mathews Mark is on the menu;)

WV: hewiney
I'm sure that has something to do with wine....;)

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

OK, the photo of Mark is intriguing! Single ladies step up! Married ladies like me want to see this story unfold. This is better than anything on TV, and with ghosts, too!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Hi, y'all. Not on here for long but wanted to say that if you click on the link in this post - towards the end where it says Eligible Bachelor Mark - it will take you to the first post on Mark that has a few more photos.

Tune in tomorrow for another episode in this saga...and an e-maiil address for Mark!

p.s. If you or someone you know is connected to a reality TV show producer or movie producer, please send them my way. I'll keep 'em busy for years to come. There's a veritable gold mine of stories and characters just waiting to be shared with the rest of the world. All here in Mathews.

OMDS said...

Mark's house seems stunning. The outer design is just beautiful and adds new look to the home. Waiting for another interesting episode.