Thursday, January 21, 2010

Three-Thing Thursday


If it's Thursday, that means it's Three-Thing Thursday, which sounds very close to Three-Ring Circus, which sounds identical to Chesapeake Bay Woman's life.

Every Thursday I share three things, and you share three things. Whatever pops into your head, apropos of nothing.


For those who may have stumbled to this blog today thinking they were going to read something quaint about Mathews County, I offer my sincerest apologies for what I'm about to share with you. I promise it's not usually like this, but today I can't help it.

Let's begin.

1. Yesterday was a most stressful day at the paying job. With a thousand things going on at once; the phone ringing off the hook; people sending rapid-fire instant messages with that annoying little ping that shoots through me like a knife; and trying to prepare for being out of the office for the next week and a half, I was more than a bit distracted and stressed. When things calmed down in the afternoon, you could hear a pin drop in the office suite. However, my mind was still going a mile a minute, reviewing mental lists, trying to make sure I didn't forget anything. I was utterly and completely oblivious to my surroundings when this happened: I burped. Loudly. Very loudly.

2. Knowing full well my supervisor could hear me since she sits in the office right next to mine, I covered my mouth in shock and horror, wondering what to do. My eyes darted back and forth, beads of sweat broke out on my forehead, and my heart was pounding out of my chest. It was so loud there's no way she didn't hear it. My old supervisor would understand, and we'd die laughing. But this is a reasonably new manager, so I decided if she said anything, I'd lie and say it was something that fell on my desk that made an unusual noise. (Something like a burp.)

3a. Come to find out, after sitting there stewing and fretting for what seemed like days hours, I remembered that in the midst of all the earlier hullabaloo when 42 people were coming at me at once, she had told me she was going to lunch. So she was gone. She hadn't heard a thing.

Then Chesapeake Bay Woman breathed a sigh of relief so strong it blew the papers off her desk. She vowed to be more cognizant of her surroundings in the future. And perhaps to eat more slowly.

3b. Today is MENTAL PAUSE MAMMA'S birthday! Happy, happy Birthday, MPM. May your day be filled with laughter and good friends. Good friends who have sense enough not to burp in an office environment.

Now it's your turn. Please share three (or more) things. Whatever you want, anything at all.

Be sure to click on the link to MPM's site and wish her a very Happy Birthday.

p.s. Tune in again tomorrow, when I promise not to share any more juvenile (albeit completely unintentional), unprofessional office behavior better suited to the confines of a fraternity house one's own home.

24 comments:

Pueblo girl said...

1) Hate official paperwork.
2) Always put off things I don't like until way past the last minute.
3) Off to hand in my tax returns (late).
4) Thank God I live in Spain, and officialdom is flexible about late tax returns...

Mathews Mark said...

1)CBW their is more room out than in 2)I just washed the car so it must be raining (again and again and again) 3) Excuse me CBW but do you have any GREY POUPON thats right (pants on the ground pants on the ground)Im back!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry Darly but you know you missed Me ? 3b) ghost up date on friday or saturday. 3b) I never left come on (rides around the tasty freeze donks deers fallen out of the ice box who would know or do all of these crazy things but me and my family. love yall, God bless MM !.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

pg-Ditto. Good luck with it all, though.

Mathews Mark - You have no idea how badly I wanted to mention that the new Anonymous sounded an awful lot like MM. Good to have you back. Does this mean you have your own computer?

Can't wait to hear the ghost update.

Mrs F with 4 said...

1. Older girl child (4) learned to belch at will this week. With encouragement from elder brothers (6 and 8) she can now burp the alphabet. My, she's a delicate little princess;

2. Mr F is in Asia on day five of a three week trip;

3. Mrs F is losing (what's left of) her mind. If found, please return to....

Trisha said...

1.Reading an entire class syllabus from a screen where it is being projected and watching your teacher explain everything in sign language can be tough on the eyes!
2. Having a class from 6-10 at night isn't too fun.
3. Having a cat who thinks you need to get up at 5:30 when you only got to bed at about 11:30 isn't too fun, either!

Jamie said...

1. I am salivating at the mention of more ghost information- I'm wierd like that.

2.I once belched very loud at work and one of my coworkers (I mostly work with guys) came over to say something to the other guy in the room with me and realized I was the offender... it's still laughed about.

3. I am praying for the large storm headed northeast tonight and tomorrow to move slightly northward so that I am sure to be able to stay home from work and cozy in my pj's

Linda said...

1. Love today's photo.
2. My sister can burp (the alphabet) on command.
3. "I" never burp. It's the truck driver at the next table. Really!

Ann Marie said...

1.
2.
3.

yea that is all I got.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

1.Wonderful dinner last night with the church ladies.
2.Thinking about my trip to NYC.
3.Happy Birthday Lauren!
<><

Ann Marie said...

.

Breezeway said...

Happy birthday MPM!

1.I CAN NOT make everyone happy! Somedays I can't make ANYONE happy!

2.I need to say above fact every day and learn to deal with it.And stop obsessing about making the impossible (see above) possible.

3.I have two great kids and some wonderful friends who love me.Today that will have to be enough.And frankly, it should be enough EVERY DAY!

4.I love exclamation points!!!!!

Daryl said...

Okay .. here's the thing .. if you just always say (out loud) Excuse Me after expelling air from any orifice its an automatic pass and in no way considered rude or raunchy ... I swear I say excuse me when I expel air and I am alone .. force,heh heh, of habit.

1. MM .. I didnt miss you exactly but I did miss trying to understand WTF you are typing vs what you are actually saying ...

2. Happy Birthday to MPM .. she be old but she be fine.

And #3 lastly GAH but my office is insane today, did you send those wonky busy vibes here??????????

Take them back. Now.

SIGH.

Shelley Jaffe said...

1. My older son told me not too long ago, "You are the most flatulent woman I know."

I took it as a compliment.

2. Whenever I am in the comfort of my own home, and belch (because really - let's be real), instead of "Excuse me", I say "Delicate Flower".
Because I am. I have my menfolk so well-trained now, that everytime I belch (usually after my 2nd rootbeer), they all say "Delicate Flower" in unison. So Sweet!

3. I blame all other noises on the ghost of our deceased dog. He would take that as a compliment, and who am I to tinker with the feelings of the afterlife?

big hair envy said...

1. Payroll taxes are due AGAIN? Really? Enough already.

2. I hope I look as good as MPM when I hit 50. Come to think of it, it's NOT that far off... Happy Birthday, Mama!

3. Red wine contains antioxidants. Antioxidants help fight the aging process. If I drink more red wine, I will age more slowly. Seems reasonable. (Is that philosophy similar to Barn-Door Genealogy?)

Mental P Mama said...

1. LOL @ Ann Marie
2. Where are you going?
3. Thanks for the shout out! 50 ain't so bad!

Unknown said...

That picture is gorgeous. I couldn't stop laughing over your burbing incident. It could have been worse if you know what I mean. A burb is better than a fart.

Ok...my three things.

1. I hate going to physical therapy for 90 minutes a day! Isabel is nice...Heidi is a drill instructor and enjoys watching people cry. I refuse to make her happy.

2. Have four family birthdays in January and two in February. I wish I could convince them all that it's the thought that counts.

3. Preparing for my junket to So CA next week. Hopefully the rain will stop and flood waters supside so I won't need to pack my noodle.

RoseMary King said...

1. I clap and encourage all people who burp and fart.

2. My husband and I are having a discussion about spending our tax return; he wants 55" TV and I want a vacation.

3. I have 500 bulbs of varying types in my refrigerators that I need to plant, already 2 weeks past date they should have been in the ground.

3b. I have a really bad attitude of late.

Meg at the Members Lounge said...

1. Feng shui in house very bad today.
2. Sun is shining for the first time this week. Mind not totally lost.
3. Squirrels eating happily at squirrel proof feeder.

abb said...

1. Better to burp loudly than fart loudly.

2. MPM is well on her way to meeting her fund-raising goal.

3. Can't think of a 3rd. Brain is fried. Or possibly my brain is ~lupedaja~ (my wv).

Unknown said...

1. I have named my cough "Bob".
2. Bob, meet CBW
3. Bob is not coming to Blogfest. I cannot afford an airline ticket for him so he'll have to stay home.

Hugs!

Annie said...

1. Did Daryl lose her sciatica...if so, I know where it is..I have it here!

2. In trying to pick up pram to go down steps, I over corrected to protect my lower back, and hurt my upper back!

3.argh.

4. Love the photo...!

Meg McCormick said...

1. Friday
2. Saturday
3. Sunday

Are the 3 days I will be in Vermont visiting my sister and getting acquainted with her newly adopted son Kisung, and enjoying his older brother Jae, who's the same age as my Peezer (except Jae made the kindergarten cutoff and Peezer didn't).

I was going to be offline BUT now there is a suddenly urgent spreadsheet I must work on for a client so I may be wired after all. You'll be the first to know.

Welcome back Mark!

Country Girl said...

1. I farted at work today.
2. Sixteen times.
3. I hope nobody noticed.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Another mighty long day here in Chesapeake Bay Woman's World, but it's always such a pleasure to read everyone else's Three Things. Thank you for entertaining me. These are GREAT.

The Baroness wins for best retort or response to the unavoidable bodily releases: Delicate Flower. That really needs to be incorporated into the CBFamily lexicon.

And Annie-I am so very sorry to hear about your back problems. It's been one thing after another for you recently. That means it's time for things to start turning around and going in the right direction.

Also, Country Girl, you might want to invest in some Beano. I'll bring you some in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again to all for commenting. I truly appreciate it.