Sunday, January 31, 2010

Snowy Sunday


This is a shot of a little red barn that sits right off Route 14 near North.

(That would be North, Virginia, located in Mathews County. North the place not north the direction. We also have a Moon in Mathews County. Not just the moon up in the sky, but Moon. Moon, Virginia. Let's get back to the topic at hand now, which was what I wonder?)

This was taken the last time it snowed here and is not even close to representing how much snow was delivered from this weekend's storm. Depending on which snow drift you wander into today, it can be thigh-deep. The snow above is like a dusting of confectioner's sugar on a funnel cake. Yesterday's snow was more like a double-stuffed Oreo, times three and minus the chocolate cookie.

As of yesterday, when the snow was coming down sideways, I've not been brave enough to venture out with Precious, my camera. Precious and I will take many pictures as soon as there's no danger of her getting hurt or damaged.

(On the other hand, I walked the dog in my bathrobe, boots, hat and scarf and found it to be delightfully refreshing. Hopefully my neighbors weren't gazing out the window when their crazy, eccentric neighbor I walked by their house in a bathrobe during a blizzard. Seeing as they keep their Christmas tree up in the picture window year 'round, I'm thinking we're about even.)

One little thing I wanted to point out about the picture above, though, is the yellow sign there in between the two tree branches. That's Route 14 and the sign is warning drivers of a sharp turn ahead--that one right before the little bridge over the marsh at the remnants of the North River.

Right as you approach that bend but beyond this sign, there's a little house on the right where my pony Thunder once lived. Well, she didn't live in the house of course, but she lived in a field right beside it inside an electric fence which is no longer there. Back in the 1970's, the girl who owned her was getting too old and too tall for a smallish pony, and somehow or another we ended up with her. She arrived in a dump truck. To this day I have no idea how they got her on and off that thing.

Anyway, every time I pass by this house at that bend in the road, I think of Thunder. And I miss her terribly.

Getting back to the grand storm we've experienced, hopefully later today or tomorrow I'll post some photos of the snow. That is, I'll post snow pictures unless we lose current, which is the term used by the natives here to refer to electricity.

The very same natives wearing a bathrobe as they frolic around in a blizzard.

p.s. Evidently this snow frolicking in bathrobes is not limited to the greater Mathews County area. Just read Big Hair Envy's comment on yesterday's post.

16 comments:

mmm said...

What's the matter; a little ole' snowstorm left you speechless this morning?

It's -3 degrees in the mountains. Toasty, real toasty...

Mathews Mark said...

What a snowman might see: Snowman freshly formed by the tiny hands an chilled bodies of some of the youth of Mathews. The clouds part as the storm drifts out towards the sea. The moon peaks over one of the soft cloud,releasing a glow, it must be magical, the glow dances around the snowman His two eyes made of buttons taken from and old shirt seem to come to life. The frosty guys sleepy eye take in a wonderful site. The Marsh cover with snow looks like a cotton field begging to be picked. The light house standing tall showing the wear of so many storm, takes the little guys breath away.The lights of Yorktown, the glass cover river, Frosty wishes the magic was stronger,He needs to see more of this great place called Mathews \. He wants to see the five or six pickups pulled up to a bond fire the young men and women getting an old car hood ready to pull behind one of the pickups. He wants to see PaPa looking out the kitchen window thinking about past snow storms, hoping his family is warm. The Snowman, He just wants to see. MM

Mathews Mark said...

later I will talk to the snowmans drunkin brother and go back to the bad gramma and sellin lol

mmm said...

Nice prose MM, very nice...

Mathews Mark said...

MMM the northerner's are beating me up show them that My brother can lay it down on paper so I don't have to. As i said Me and my brothers Know every thing You are the one that can put it on paper give them a taste LOL MM

mmm said...

"Snowman freshly formed by the tiny hands..." - I can't beat that.

Gotta go, the treadmill is calling. Or, could it be that it needs oil?

Enjoy the snow. We'd be happy to send you some more.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Gonna dig my way to the chicken coop today and then look for my car in all this sh*T! Pretty? yes. Like it? not so much.
<><

ghostless said...

Hey, I moved to mathews to escape the snow...what happened???!!!

big hair envy said...

Heehee!! Thank goodness Cool Breeze is handling the snow removal today:)

Forced myself to put on a sweatsuit when I got up this morning. Didn't think I needed to be in a robe two days in a row;) Maybe tomorrow, if I don't go to work!

I'm guessing we have about 15 inches of snow on the ground here. Just shoot me....

WV: wollfmjc
Wolf Magic? Must be referring to last night's moon.

Mental P Mama said...

The Sea Shanty is in North! As in, that's where we'll be in July!

Jamie said...

How exactly does Mathews and Middlesex counties get rid of that much snow? I mean, do you guys hve actual snow plows? I don't remember that much snow down there before. And I am still trying to figure out how you get a pony in and out of a dump truck....

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Jamie, the quick answer is we get rid of the snow very slowly unless Mother Nature decides to help out with warm temps and/or rain. The main roads will be cleared first, but it's all these secondary roads that take forever to be cleared. VDOT presumably is in charge of all the clearing.

The whole pony/dump truck thing has perplexed me for decades. In my own mind I tell myself that I heard the story wrong and they brought her here in the back of a pickup truck, which would allow easy loading but certainly would not bode well for the ride down the road, which was at least five miles. I'll have to check with Chesapeake Bay Mother for the real deal on this whole pony delivery story. It's been gnawing at me for too long.

Meg McCormick said...

We got more in MD than they were calling for - probably 6 inches or so of white fluffy snow. But I hear it was closer to a foot down by y'all!

Ann Marie said...

official measurement 13 inches.
Official as in I wasn't drunk when I measured.

NeMeNim... so THAT is what happened to my friggin snowman.. he came to life and walked out of the damn yard! I thought that weird track across the yard was where someone dragged him off.. jeesh snow man comes alive and I miss it!

What could be seen today by anyone in the New Point area... a crazy ass grown woman cutting doughnuts on all the pretty white stuff! That is how we get rid of it down here.. spin around over and over and throw it on each other! Then it just melts.. well sorta anyway.

My kind heart helped people today though.. went down to the beach and helped some poor stranded Arizona boys who had dug a pit trying to get their van out. Seriously.. a HUGE PIT. After many many doughnuts I had the lane packed down enough they got their van out to the end of the lane so they could catch their flight tomorrow.

See even the baby country mouse can be off assistance regardless of current state of mind.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Oh, Ann Marie, how I could have used your snow slinging services in Hudgins today. Tune in tomorrow to see how the crazies on this side of the county deal with snow removal. Your way is far better. And a heck of a lot more fun.

Those Arizona men will never forget their experience, and hopefully now they know how to drive in snow.

What you experienced today is a perfect reality TV episode. Every single day there is something goin' on around here that is not exactly normal, yet very, very entertaining.

Can't wait to hear how Mathews Mark and the ghost fared during the storm.

Ann Marie said...

i have pictures too... wait until you see the boat! only took two hours to get the snow out of it. I only know how long it took due to that is roughly how long I was gone on the 4 wheeler and someone was still shoveling the entire time..

I did take heed to the news' warning and kept riding by to check to make sure that snow was still flying out of it and that no heart attacks were happening.

I am such a caring person.