Friday, January 1, 2010

Dawn



Here's a recent sunrise on the creek. It's the dawn of a new day and the dawn of a new year. The rising sun illuminates the darkness with a dazzling glow and the promise of daylight.

Every day is a beginning, a clean slate, a starting over. Yesterday is gone never to return. It's a fresh, clean slate this new day and this new year.

And so, it's time to stop reminiscing about last year and start looking ahead. In other words, it's time to start planning Blog Fest 2010.

In case you're wondering what Blog Fest even is, there's a whole separate blog dedicated to the logistics and communications from last year's event. In short, a bunch of bloggers, who were complete strangers except through the internet, descended upon little Mathews County for 3-4 days of laughing, sightseeing, overindulgence and camaraderie. Click here to get to the blog, but forgive me for not having any relevant current information on there.

To kick off the planning session for this year, I've anticipated questions and tried to answer them below.

What is Blog Fest?
Blog Fest was a crazy little notion that blossomed into one of the most memorable and fun weekends of my adult life. The Blog Fest group--which included many bloggers I did not know even via the internet--was diverse yet we blended like lifelong friends. The event, co-hosted by my blog sister Big Hair Envy, was held in Mathews County, and people from Canada, Maine, Washington state, Maryland, New York, Connecticut, Virginia, Texas and California came here sight unseen just to meet their blogging friends. We even made the local paper. In short, it was wonderful.

Why would I want to come to Blog Fest?
I have no idea, but you won't regret it.

Is Grandma J. as funny in person as she is on the internet?
No. She's funnier.

Is it true that the humidity was at 150%, the temperature was 99 degrees in the shade, and there were fiddler crabs scurrying up your legs across the roads?
Yes.

Can you confirm or deny the rumor that Grandma J. did a cannonball into the hot tub with her clothes on?
That's for me to know and you to find out.

This concludes the first chapter in the book called Blog Fest 2010: Will Chesapeake Bay Woman Actually Set the Date and Begin Concrete Plans or Will She Just Talk About It Like Everything Else on Her To Do list?


Pictured above from last year's Blog Fest is a zebra-striped-sunglass-wearing, hot-tub-loving Grandma J. trying to navigate her way out of a crab pot maze. This was right before boarding the work boat for the magical tour of New Point Light, courtesy of Ann Marie and the Waterman.

16 comments:

Pueblo girl said...

Best wishes for the new year and hoping your projects work out well.

Big Hair Envy said...

Oh, the planning HAS begun my dear!! We just need to be a bit less "indulgent" while discussing the event;)

Bring your calendar tonight. Let the specifics begin......!!

Country Girl said...

I have tj signed up. Just waiting to hear when the dates will be. No hurries. See you in Feb. And Happy New Year!

Mrs F with 4 said...

I suppose I actually have to START a blog in order to qualify?

This could be just the incentive I need....

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I for one CAN. NOT. WAIT.
I think I will put new curtains in my camper and make a little more room for Meg and Mama in case they decide they want to camp!
See you tonight!
<><

Ann Marie said...

I will be reinventing myself prior to this event.. I will no long go by the watermans wife.. or Ann Marie or even @$#@$# I will just simply be Re.. like Prince with his symbol but with letters.

Unknown said...

I can hardly wait! It's so hard to believe that Blog Fest '10 is right around the corner.

And for crying out loud, I wish I was all that and a pound of butter. Oh wait....I'm shaped like a pound of butter! Huy, la mantequilla!

Anywho, just so people know, I've never had so much fun in my life with a bunch of women of all ages, from all over the country and Canada!

Maybe this time you can call the local paper ahead of time so they can publish a warning to the locals so they can take cover.

Bring it on!!

Meg McCormick said...

Noe Noe, I love ya girl but I am not a camper. Sorry.

BUT - I'll party in your camper till it's time to turn in! I'll bring the lime!

Mental P Mama said...

The Sea Shanty awaits!

Daryl said...

The best weekend of my adult life too - except for the weekend in Norwalk .. okay BOTH were the best weekends spent with Blisters

I am in.

I am jealous you are having a planning meeting and I cant be there

mmm said...

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

you have to see my haunted house mathews mark

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Pueblo- Thanks and same to you. Looking forward to seeing more pictures of your new doggie.

BHE-Boo hoo. So sorry I couldn't make it tonight.

CG-YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I ever finally get to meet TJ I will weep tears of joy. Love her to pieces.

Mrs. F. - Although you really do need to start a blog simply because you're hilarious, one is not required in order to attend. Hopefully you can make it. If you need to bring the "4" feel free. This is a kid wonderland here.

Noe Noe - I need to look inside that camper of yours this time. Only saw it from the outside but this time I'm going in.

AM--I mean Re - You go, girl.

Grandma J. - You really need to be a stand-up comedian. If they have open-mike nights near you, you'd have people rolling in the aisles. Can't WAIT to see you again.

Meg-You can have CB Daughter's room again if you want.

MPM- This time I want to come over and see that Sea Palace that pretends to be a shanty. the pictures were amazing.

Daryl-We can do more planning in February in your neck of the woods.

Mathews Mountain Man - Same to you and your family.

Mathews Mark - I'M COMING OVER THERE TOMORROW TO SEE THAT HOUSE. Bringing the camera. Tell the ghost(s) that I'm friendly. Looking forward to it.

Have a great evening, y'all.

Anonymous said...

So out of curiosity, I clicked on the link for the local newspaper article...ya know, to see what I might have missed - boy was I surprised!
*****
"Woman badly burned as fire destroys house"
*****
Ya'll can keep a pretty good! All this time and not a single hint has sliped out that there was a fire at BlogFest. Not a peep of how it started or that the any Bloggers were involved!

Hope everyone one is alright.

SMBS
(Single Male Blog Stalker)

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Dear Blog Stalker - I didn't link to the actual article, because that would have required work and effort, and we all know there is rarely any effort exerted here. But thank you for watching out for us. Good to have you back.

Anonymous said...

Was just hoping it wasn't a house of anyone one I might have known.
SMBS

ps. Trouble with having a stalker...even an occasional one, ya'l probably need to start closing your drapes ;)