Thursday, March 6, 2014

Three Things









Thursday is thrust upon us again, and that means it's time to share three things. This is one of those weeks where I struggle to come up with even one thing to share. It's been a rather blah 2014 month week thus far, snowstorm notwithstanding. On the one hand, there is so much I could tell if I were at liberty to do so had the time to do so. On the other hand, the day-to-day stuff is the same as it ever was.

Let's begin with the sharing of three things.

1.  Same as it ever was will always remind me of this song by the Talking Heads. (If you're unfamiliar with it and click on the link, the words don't crop up until after the second verse.)

2.  The Talking Heads will always remind me of college, because I saw them live at U-Hall at the University of Virginia. My friends-to-this-day Iris and Lenja (rhymes with Kenya, but she's from Finland) lived with me in an apartment complex directly across the railroad tracks from U-Hall.

3. My son has been accepted to UVA. He's still waiting to hear from other colleges he applied to (and what sort of financial aid they might offer) before making a final decision, but it's a relief that he's been accepted to my alma mater. The nightmare of the financial aid forms never seems to end. It's March and I am still working on last minute items for some of the colleges he hasn't even been accepted to yet.

4. (Because three is simply a suggestion.) Speaking of my college roommate Iris, if all goes well I will see her this weekend. There is no doubt in my mind that some Talking Heads songs will be a part of the mini-reunion.

That's it from here. I hope there's something more exciting going on in your world. Even if there's nothing exciting, feel free to share three things thoughts here. And remember, three is merely a suggestion. If you wish to write one thing or twenty-one things, I welcome your words.




10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to CB son (and by extension, Mama)on his UVA acceptance. Great news always welcome during a long week.
LLC

Kay L. Davies said...

Just one thing for now. Too many things to list, but I sent you an e-mail.
Hugs,
K

Jamie said...

The one thing I do not miss is dealing with FAFSA or any other financial aid forms.

1.I finally got the wedding catered. There's still no cake and no flowers and currently the men will be naked as there is no groom's attire but the food, pastor and honeymoon are set. And that's all that matters.

2.The Brat Child has stated that his job at the wedding will be to "take off his shirt and dance". So I guess the lack of groomsmen attire works for him o.O

3.I don't have a third. Unless you count my opening comment then I'd have 3, but I'm not going back and renumbering.

Meg McCormick said...

1: That song is my theme song. It still stops me dead in my tracks every time I hear it. How did they KNOW??

2: FAFSA is an evil bitch who needs to be shot and killed. Hard to tell from the reply email what in the world we would qualify for. But it doesn't matter much this year - looks like eldest son will be doing a year at community college. And that, I think, is a good solution for him. He's more into socializing than studying. (I have no idea where he gets this from.)

3: This latest snow needs to melt. PRONTO.

Dghawk said...

1. First and foremost, congrats to CB Son's acceptance to UVA! Wonderful!

2. Love the Talking Heads. I have or had, I'll have to see if I can find it.) a copy of their "Stop Making Sense" concert and watched it so many times that I still remember parts of it. David Byrnes is a genius.

3. I had a three, but can't remember what it was, but I can remember a Talking Heads concert from the 80's!

Oh well.....

Dghawk said...

I just remembered #3.

3. I'm glad your "prove you're not a robot" has changed to numbers. Whew!

Country Girl said...

You may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful house
You may tell yourself, this is not my beautiful wife
Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by, water flowing underground

Very cool tune. Remember it well.

Country Girl said...

Congratulations to Sam!!

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Thanks, LLC, it was great news.

Kay - Good luck with your trip. Stay strong.

DJ-FAFSA? HATE! I want to see video footage of your wedding reception.

Meg-FAFSA? HATE!

DGH - I agree, David B. is a genius. As a Latin American Studies major I took lots of Brazilian Portuguese. He did a compilation of Brazilian songs in the...80s or 90s? that was fantastic. I had it on 8-track cassette. (Now I feel old.)

CG-It's a great song.

Thanks for commenting!

Middle Sis said...

1 - Foster dog going through heartworm treatment; picked him up today. Very tough....the actual treatment is very painful for them (it's a derivative of arsenic) and then for 30 days we are supposed to keep him from getting too active, or else he could get a pulmonary embolism from the worms dying off, etc. So, for the next 30 days when I'm not playing tennis, etc. I will have him with me in my office and I hope that will inspire me to do some fun things like paint.

2 - Played a tennis match today; it was as cold as h-e-double hockey-sticks. And wind of about 20 mph. My partner and I lost our line, but our team won the match. Our match was 6-4, 6-4. Where is our spring weather?!

3- Once in a Lifetime is the name of that Talking Heads tune. I had to look up the lyrics to be reminded of just how brilliant they are! What a fun album!!

Talk to you soon!
-Middle Sis