Monday, July 7, 2014

Fourth









After the clouds of Hurricane Arthur blew off into the Atlantic, the rest of the July 4 weekend was spectacular.  Friday afternoon some friends came over to my house for an afternoon of boat rides and tubing up and down Queens Creek.










Glenda and Billy put their boat in over at the Seabreeze on Gwynn's Island and used my dock as the base of operations for a day full of fun in the sun.









The temperature was practically perfect, and there was hardly any humidity--very rare for July.



















While some people boated, others congregated on the deck under the not-so-easy EZ-Up that I haven't pulled out since a camping trip over three summers ago.  Needless to say, there was a little bit of hissing and spitting involved with setting up, and matters were not helped by all the three-year-old sand that was still stuck in every nook and cranny of the awning and its poles. Eventually, with some help from Son and Daughter, I was victorious. 

Although it wasn't excessively hot, it was nice to have the shade.















Laura Lane










Alda










Theresa










Lisa














In addition to the not-so-easy EZ-Up, I tossed up a few decorations from the Dollar Tree, my new favorite store.





These droopy streamers were originally more lively; this was taken post-party.
During the party this table was covered with food including several red, white and blue desserts brought by Lisa and Laura Lane.  Naturally I forgot to take pictures, but trust me,
they were works of art. 










Yep, that's a yellow bread tie messing up my festive photo.


After the day of boating and congregating, most everyone went off to the fireworks at the high school, which from all accounts were fantastic.  Exhausted by that point, I opted to stay home and watch the sporadic pyrotechnics put on from various spots in Hallieford and Gwynns Island.

The weather Saturday and Sunday was just perfect.  And I did absolutely nothing. It seems the more I rest, the more tired I am. Completely lethargic.

Although it was a three-day weekend, time seemed to fly by.

And now it's back to work.

If I haven't mentioned it lately, I'm really looking forward to my vacation in a few weeks.

How was your weekend?




3 comments:

Jamie said...

The weather was fabulous this weekend. I can't remember a July in Deltaville when we could actually open the windows to cool the house instead of using the AC. Also, I learned Big Gulp cups are not only good for drinking wine at a baseball game but also for setting off bottle rockets.

Dghawk said...

What a wonderful weekend you had! I'm happy for you. Unfortunately for me, I was off on the Fourth, but had to work Saturday and Sunday. I think I've had one full weekend off since Memorial Day. Oh well.

Meg McCormick said...

I had a great 4th at the beach - it rained until about 1pm, then we slogged bravely through the wind for a walk to the "downtown" area for a late lunch. It was practically chilly on the beach that night as we watched fireworks! Then we went out late to catch one last call at our favorite bar... so much fun.