Sunday, February 4, 2018

Checking In









These first three pictures of farm-raised oysters were taken around Thanksgiving, which coincidentally is about the last time I've posted to this blog.






I've been focusing on getting better and surviving chemo treatments.  So far, I've completed eight of the twelve which are necessary. My interim PET scan, which shows the size and locations of the various tumors present thanks to my Hodgkins lymphoma, came back clear after treatment number four, which is great news.  (I still have to complete the full twelve rounds of chemo though.)









In the mean time, I've taken off work, because between the commute and the brutality stress and length of the workday, I was just too exhausted and couldn't handle trying to get better and maintaining my normal routine.  So I am officially on leave until I feel better enough to return, and I'm very grateful for that.

Otherwise, I've just been taking life one day at a time.








We had a few snow episodes in January and endured some pretty brutal temperatures.









The other day, some swans came up the creek and into my cove.  I can't recall ever seeing swans in the creek or the cove, so it was a special treat.









They're much bigger than you think.  







These few unrelated pictures are all I've snapped in the past several months, mostly because it's been so brutally cold and I've been so brutally tired I've just not mustered the energy to go out and snap. 

Hopefully that will change.

I hope all is well in your world.  Happy Belated New Year & 2018.



12 comments:

thomas said...

Oysters look fantastic .
Scan report fantastic also!

Anonymous said...

My friend posted the first stanza of Emily Dickinson"s poem, "Hope is a Thing With Feathers" a couple of weeks ago. During the most challenging experiences, it can be harder to find a sense of hope without digging really deep...but there it is, even if the 'tune' is diminished. It comes through in the last stanza of the poem:

"..I’ve heard it in the chillest land -
And on the strangest Sea -
Yet - never - in Extremity,
It asked a crumb - of me."
So proud and in awe of your handling this journey back to health. Your results have been so encouraging; such good news! Very happy that you are able to be on leave while you are recuperating.
Loved seeing the swans swimming by..I have a belief system that suggests that maybe that was a 'message' that the swans delivered--gliding messengers on the water.
Hugs fom LLColeman

Anonymous said...

So good to hear the good PET scan report and that you are taking a break to continue your healing. Beautiful pictures of your winter wonderland and your lovely "visitors". picture-postcard beautiful!! Linda in Tn.

Daryl said...

i am very happy to hear you are putting yourself first .. cause i know its not just you and the damn chemo .. love you and i am very happy to see this post and hear you have kicked the damn cancer to the kerb (or curb)

Anonymous said...

Hang in there!! As I am getting ready to do the Relay for Life here in California, I am thinking of you and praying for your speedy recovery.

Anonymous said...

So glad your scans were good and that you have been able to take time off. That will help you heal even more. Stress plays such a role in how we tolerate things, physically and mentally. Hope you feel stronger every day and thanks for the update.
Trinia

Anonymous said...

I have been following your journey for about a year. I have read about your parents not being well and yourself. My husband and I have bought a house on Gwynn Island and reading about your daily life has made our moving much more easier. I enjoy reading your posts and your stories and pictures. Please get well soon so we can read all about your journeys. We truely enjoy them.

Annie said...

Great to catch up on your positive news CBW..
Keep up the good work
so pleased you can have time off!

grouse789 said...

As Anonymous above mentioned, I too enjoy following you on your journeys, and travels of the Matthews area. Its your photos, and stories that make me long to visit. What you describe reminds me of my childhood on the eastern end of Long Island, Greenport NY. Clamming, crabbing, fishing, exploring quiet lonely beaches during the winter. It was a sleepy little place during the 1970's and early 80's. It has since vastly changed, but I long to return to a place similar. I have a feeling this area could be the place.
Praying that you continue to heal, Thank you for what you bring to the rest of us!

Bob Braxton said...

house on Gwynn's Island - my spouse family did so 1957, still going there (not year-round) - at least three houses were for sale on our one (Mad Calf) Lane recently. Very interested in those who buy and move to Gwynn's Island. I first saw the place around the end of May, 1966, days before college graduation.

Bob Braxton said...

I do check back (in) from time to time. Really enjoy whenever you are able to post.

Anonymous said...

Please let us know how you are doing...we are praying for you.