Monday, September 26, 2011

Boats



























They're fishin' nets now.

These photos were taken off the shore of Aarons Beach last week.

Click here for a post from almost a year ago relating to gill nets, among other things.

When I was comin' along, we didn't have any fancy equipment to pull the nets in, only elbow grease and fortitude.  I'll never forget those cold, rough, rainy days going out with my father to the mouth of the Piankatank to haul in stinkin', nasty nets full of fish.

Oh, what the children of today are missing.

Click here for Ann Marie's blog post on the topic. Her roots in Mathews County run deep enough to support a lighthouse and it's nice to know I wasn't the only teenaged girl out on rough waters pullin' in nets.

9 comments:

deborah said...

and I griped about digging endless amounts of potatoes.
Wishing you a Happy Monday!

Ann Marie said...

Its the Smith boys!

AverettLadyNana said...

As Rob, my granddaddy, used to say, "Aww!, the smell of money!". I still love that aroma. We rode down to some docks in Hampton with our oldest grandson and as he was trying not to gag, I was taking deep breaths with this huge smile on my puss. He asked me, "Nana how are you standing this sticking smell?". "Smells like back in my youth." "Stunk, huh?" "oh NO, it was wonderful!", I replied to him shaking his head in disbelief.

Jamie said...

Love the second photo! And Oy! I remember hauling nets when I was a kid.

Daryl said...

The only fish nets I ever hauled were pantyhose .. and I'd always need to be hauling them up cause they didnt have enough elastic to keep them up properly ..

Kay L. Davies said...

I also love the second photo. They're all good, but that one is great.

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie’s Guide to Adventurous Travel

Meg McCormick said...

This makes me want to be out on the water in a boat. Fish nets optional.

thomas said...

Great pictures, wonderful boats.
One can almost hear the gulls in the third one. Thanks.

Country Girl said...

Sorry. I'm getting a mental image of Daryl and her fishnet pantyhose.