Monday, July 6, 2009

County Beaches



In a week and a half, a handful of bloggers from around the country will convene in Mathews County sight unseen other than what is portrayed here on this blog.

Note: That opening sentence scares the living daylights out of me. What on Earth was I thinking?

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to meeting all of the smart, witty, interesting, gifted and talented people on the other side of the computer screen. But holy mackerel--most of them are traveling quite a distance, even clear across the country, just to see little old Mathews. Mathews County.

What are they expecting? Have I oversold the place and its natural beauty? What will they say as I announce, "And here is Hyco Corner and here is the old Sibleys and that used to be a Ben Franklin and that's where Foster's Department store once thrived"? Do they realize just how much driving is involved just to get to a convenience store? Do they know about the drinking water situation? What about the fact that my ice maker doesn't work?

And what about these beaches I've been talking about? To me, they're beautiful because they're completely undeveloped. To anyone else, they might be dreadfully boring.

So, to properly set expectations, I thought I'd head to South America for about a month or whenever the Blog Fest Protesters leave town, whichever comes first spend some time in advance of next week's Blog Fest talking in a bit more detail about just what it's like around here, starting with our beaches.

Mathews is a peninsula surrounded on 3 sides by water, but much of that water isn't visible from the main highway. Although some of the most beautiful views are on private property, there are several public beaches (Haven Beach, Aaron's Beach and Bethel Beach Nature Preserve) which front the bay and provide an abundance of water vistas.

They're all identical pretty similar and consist of this:

1. Marsh on either side of the road heading towards the beach.
2. A rather narrow beach of white sand peppered with sea grass, sea glass, driftwood and various other odds and ends which wash ashore.
3. A view of the Chesapeake Bay which is only water, waves and sky for as long as the eye can see. (The picture above is a good representation.)
4. Horseflies, mayflies and/or mosquitoes depending on how much wind is blowing.

That's it. The End. Most of these beaches are not for swimming either. (Blog Festers will have the chance to swim if they choose on Saturday night over on the island.)

But if you're looking for a nice, quiet, desolate place to bury a corpse stretch your legs, watch some birds and swat some flies snap some great pictures, these beaches are perfect.

Coming up on the next episode of Chesapeake Bay Woman Freaks Out Over Blog Fest: The importance of having a car since we are at least 275 15 miles away from any sort of civilization up to and including Wal-Mutant.





19 comments:

Caution/Lisa said...

Had you only told me earlier that your ice maker doesn't work, I would have saved myself much sorrow, agony, and pity regarding my absence at Blog Fest. Thank-you for liberating me. Now, try to have it fixed before next year's event, kk?

Unknown said...

I keep thinking this is all a joke to lure Grandma J to some marshlands on the east coast, paid for by my kids!

Relax....I'm flying in, but renting a car. We just want to chew the fat, and maybe chase Gustaf around the yard. Of course I can only speak for myself. Do you know if there's wifi? I may just leave my laptop at home and take notes lol.

Did you forget to tell Caution Flag that blogfest is rotating to the midwest next year? BWAAAAA

Annie said...

You do make me laugh. It is so much fun reading your blog posts...and admiring your wonderful photos!

Anonymous said...

I have been all over the US and I still think Mathews is on the top of the list for BEST and all will agree so dont stress. The boat rids will prove it to all!! There is nothing that compares! RELAX!!

Anonymous said...

Boat Ride!!lol

Mental P Mama said...

I cannot wait. And I'm thinking we'll bring some water and ice with us;) And vodka.

Daryl said...

Beaches? Sightseeing? I thought we were convening to TALK TALK TALK .. and EAT EAT EAT/DRINK DRINK DRINK .. thats been the way all my blogger meet ups have gone ... there's a beach??

Anonymous said...

Don't be perfect this year....it just makes next year more stressful, when you try to be better than perfect:)
SMBSP (arrrggggghhhh)

Auds at Barking Mad said...

I absolutely can not wait!

Am starting to get really excited.

Just trying to decide where the heck in the car I'm going to have room in the car for the luggage and cooler when the important stuff like beer and wine need to have priority? *sigh*

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

CF-Oh, if only it were just the ice maker that was a mess. Grandma J. says I forgot to tell you Blog Fest is in the mid-west next year.

GJ-Does that mean you'll be hosting us at the spa or that we're all converging upon CAution Flag? How about at the pioneer woman's ranch? Let's just invite ourselves. Wifi - Not here at the house not sure about around town. My guess is no, but I have no idea what I'm talking about since I still use dial-up and have about as much technical savvy as a pill bug. That's been stepped on. Sigh.

Annie-Thank, and wish you could join us at this little gathering.

Anonymous - I happen to agree with you but it might not be everyone's cup of tea. The boat should be well worth the trip here though...Here's hoping the boat logistics work out. I need to get jiggy with it, get with the program and iron out those details. (I hate details.)

MPM- Bring lots. Please. Thank you.

Daryl - Sounds easy enough to me, count me in.

Dear Blog Stalking Pirate-Thanks, good advice. Perhaps you can join --I mean stalk--us if we have it in the mid-west next year.

Auds-Just pack light on the clothes - it'll be hotter than blue blazes you can bet, and the dress code around here is this: farm casual, shoes optional, except for when we go to dinner Friday night and then flip flops are fine. Going easy on the clothing should free up some space for the critical supplies you mentioned.

It's Monday and I'm not doing anything to prepare for Blog Fest. Work has truly worn me right down.

tj said...

...As the days draw near I just wanna load up my car and tell my husband to have fun hosting his relatives and he can reach me in Mathews...lol *sigh* Seriously. ;o)

...Please oh please take lots o' pictures all so I can check your blogs and see the fun unfold! Please? :o)

...And CBW, don't worry a hair on your head - you'll do fine and this BlogFest will set the standard for all BlogFest's to come! ;o)

...Blessings all...

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

TJ- I say punt the relatives and jump in the car!

Meg McCormick said...

What, no ice? That might be a dealbreaker.

I'm not of the sight-unseen crew. I know and love the Bay region. My experience is mostly related to the Maryland part (western and eastern shores) but from my one trip up the VA eastern shore, I'm guessing it's much the same. And I think you portray it in a way that compels people to travel here from the far corners of the US to see it.

Don't sell it short; your enthusiasm is contagious!

But the ice part? Well, for that many people, no home ice maker could keep up with the demand. Foolery and I will throw a bag in a big cooler and bring along if you like... just say the word.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Meg-I'll keep a few coolers with some clean ice but much like toilet paper I don't think you can have too much.

And you're correct - Mathews is very similar to Eastern Shore of Virginia except that Eastern Shore is a thoroughfare and Mathews is dead-end. Very similar otherwise though.

Annie said...

A dead end, unless you can swim eh? Or walk on water. Or maybe own a boat. Oh I am getting so funny now!

I will enjoy reading all about it on your blogs. Just don't stress!

Debating whether to have a mini blog fest here with a couple of bloggers...but circumstances a bit unstable with relatives in hospital and grandchildren's parties etc. Will see what happens.

Besides which it is raining, and miserable. Usually winter is lovely. I think I brought home the rain, which is why it is nice and warm where you are now!

Meg McCormick said...

I dunno, it sure felt like a dead end over there. Middle of Nowhereville. But pretty! Except for the trailers, that is... it's actually a funny story, I may have to blog about it.

Anonymous said...

You've no doubt sprayed the property with Pirate repellent already....haven't you?

Have always heard the moon and mist this time of year are conducive to making sounds that go bump in the night.

Maybe you could lay out some bait to distract Pirates from the true treasures?


SMBSP

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I've been to Mathews lots of times. Everyone is gonna love it!
What they will not like is seeing me in a swimsuit!
Cant wait to scare everyone!

foolery said...

You worry too much. That makes you a) human and
b) female and
c) stressed out and
d) normal

Oh, I'm sorry about calling you normal; that was uncalled-for.

: )