Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Distractions




The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea.

~Isak Dinesen


Why do we love the sea? It is because it has some potent power to make us think things we like to think.

~Robert Henri

The Sea of De Nile (aka Denial) is my favorite swimming spot.

-Chesapeake Bay Woman


A Few Announcements

Dear BOSSY, it is not too late to attend Blog Fest. I'll save you a ham biscuit.

Dear Blog Fest Guests: I will e-mail you directions once I have one second to focus on anything a few spare minutes, hopefully later tonight.

Below are the wonderful bloggers who are traveling to little old Mathews County, Virginia, this weekend. Please click on the links and give 'em a read. They are witty, funny, creative and coming to this crazy place sight unseen very unique.

Big Hair Envy - Who celebrated a birthday last week. From VA
Grandma J. From Texas. Make sure you're within close proximity to a paramedic if she decides to make a prank phone call. She's good, this Grandma J.
Foolery - Who celebrated a birthday last Saturday. Coming from California.
Meg/Soup is not a Finger Food From the DC metro region.
Mental P Mamma - CT
TS Annie - CT
Daryl - NYC
AsthmaGirl- Washington State (You have to say it like that around here otherwise people think it's Washington DC.)
The Baroness -CANADA
Living on the Spit - VA
Country Girl - MD
Pleasing Procrastinator - IN
Noe Noe Girl a Queen of All Trades - A little house in the big woods.
Momx2 - Celebrated a birthday on Sunday
Auds at Iambarkingmad -MAINE
A Gloucester blogger and his wife
Anonymous Mathews Native -Who will bring delicious ham biscuits
The Waterman's Wife -Whose birthday is on Saturday and who is arranging our boat ride.
MsSeabreeze -Lifelong friend
Baby Sis (only for Saturday night)
Barney Fife
Phyllis Diller
Chaka Kahn
Just checking to see if you're still paying attention.

p.s. If you've made it this far down without causing civil or domestic unrest, please leave a comment that has nothing to do with Blog Fest but which might distract me from my state of De Nile about all that's left to do. Anyone?

22 comments:

Annie said...

1.Your photo wouldn't load for me until I right clicked and pressed "show Image". What a neat trick! Pretty neat photo too!

2. I am off to the physio for my sore non-tennis playing foot. The rest of my body is in de Nile.

3. "that water belongs in Mombasa...let it go"! Who said this...and in which movie...and for bonus points when and/or why?

Welcome to de Nile Tuesday, hosted by that crazy Australian who likes to be awake while you sleep, and who is going to be late for the physio (party)!!

WAKE UP!! WAKE UP!! IT'S TUESDAY!

Bayman said...

I didn't see MMM on the list. I'm sure this must be an oversight.

Word verification: diallag

There will be a bunch of diallag going on at blogfest, MMM.

Pueblo girl said...

Hi, back from holidays and not in my best facing reality mood myself...

But, good luck with the blog fest (yes, I know, this isn't exactly distraction), I'm sure everything will be absolutely fine as long as you remember to leave some essential planning item(s) undone so everyone can muck in and have a laugh...

Mental P Mama said...

Barney Fife??? I love Barney Fife. And don't worry, we can all chip in and do the chores when we get there. Just know that I may be a tad late;)

Meg @ Soup Is Not A Finger Food said...

[Larry jogs out to the mound to break up a players' conference]
Larry: Excuse me, but what the hell's going on out here?
Crash Davis: Well, Nuke's scared because his eyelids are jammed and his old man's here. We need a live... is it a live rooster?
[Jose nods]
Crash Davis: We need a live rooster to take the curse off Jose's glove and nobody seems to know what to get Millie or Jimmy for their wedding present. [to the players] Is that about right?
[the players nod]
Crash Davis: We're dealing with a lot of shit.
Larry: Okay, well, uh... candlesticks always make a nice gift, and uh, maybe you could find out where she's registered and maybe a place-setting or maybe a silverware pattern. Okay, let's get two! Go get 'em.

Lynne M. said...

Ok, so one of my many zoo (house) mates is a squirrel. The squirrel is named Root and lives in the soon-to-be nursery. Last night, Root was out of his cage just hanging out in "his" room, and my husband heard him in there talking. He does a cross between and scream and a screech that to me sounds like a quieter version of a rooster. We go in his room, and there he is by the open window, talking to the....

FROGS!

And, yes, the frogs were talking back! I wish we had a video camera! We both nearly fell in the floor. He just looked at us like WE were the crazy ones! It was hilarious! A full-blown frog/squirrel conversation. I wonder what they were talking about...

Unknown said...

As fate would have it, today is the last day of our awesome temperatures and no humidity.

I live in denial on a daily basis.

Unknown said...

I'm with MPM, I'm good at cleaning, chopping wood, frying turnips and uncluttering so relax and I'll help when I get there.

I still haven't packed and I'm trying to fit my cooler in my carry-on.

Daryl said...

I got a new camera and will be using it at .. oh .. sorry... I was trying to distract you .. Well, I got this very cool cotton and straw sunhat which rolls up and I plan on wearing it at .. oh .. erm .. okay! Wait, I am thinking 3 dozen bagels are enough for all the .. oops... I think I am not able to think of anything BUT Blogfest .. sorry, CBW

Anonymous said...

I tried on hats but my head's too big. Which always makes me chant "Big Head! Big Head! Big Head! courtesy of Chandler on friends.

I haven't packed a thing. I'll probably show up with a tuna fish sandwich and a hula hoop. What's a ham biscuit?

You have to say Washington STATE everywhere or people think it's DC.

Don't tell anyone, but I kind like doing dishes. Do you have rubber gloves for dishes?

mom x 2 said...

De Nile is a river in Egypt right? I'm pretty sure it is, and there was a movie about it or something? Something to do with Cleopatra? Maybe not, I don't really know.

Word verification: kingyp
Pretty sure "kingy P" was married to Queen of "De Nile" Cleopatra-
Okay, I give up I should probably just refer to Blogfest instead of this corny comment.

Auds at Barking Mad said...

I think, for once, my excitement over the impending gathering is outweighing my nervousness. Of course, once Meaghan and I get on the road at 4AM tomorrow morning, the nervousness may reappear. Either way, I am almost completely packed (go me!) and ready to roll!

Can't wait!

Auds at Barking Mad said...

BTW, we're bringing a huge cooler with us...'cause ya know, what a road trip without cold drinks and snacks?

Oh and I thought it might come in handy for other "assorted beverages" that need to be frosty and cold!

Breezeway said...

Meg - I love me some Bull Durham!!! The "I believe in..." speech is the BEST!!! A little raunchy, but still awesome! You may not have diverted CBW's attention but you got me thinking about that movie, which is way better than what I was doing!

Anonymous said...

Just breath thru your eyes, it'll help you gather your thoughts.

It's either that or run around yelling "Citizens Arrest - Citizens Arrest"

SMBS

Unknown said...

If asthmagirl shares her hula hoop I'll let her wear my adjustable visor on her big head.

I'm not packed either, but I have all my chargers, adapters and memory stuff sorted out.

verification word: monstr

Unknown said...

And, how old is too old to start drinking liquor?

Meg McCormick said...

Grandma J - how old are you? You're never too old.

Breezway - google the movie quotes. There are too many good ones to leave in the comments, but the one I chose I love because they're all distracted from the game, and CBW asked for distractions.

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Oh my goodness, thank you all for distracting me, seriously.

Wish I had the energy to respond at length but just know that you've made me laugh, which is always a good thing.

Annie said...

ah..good..glad we made you laugh

Chesapeake Bay Woman said...

Annie-Did anyone answer your question #3? What is it?

(I have no idea, if I see a movie I forget everything about it. A mind like a sieve, I tell you.)

foolery said...

Chaka -- Chaka Khan?
Ch-Ch-Chaka Khan-an-an?
Chaka Khan?